Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Many materials can be considered a “green” material until its background is revealed. Any material that has used toxic or carcinogenic chemicals in its treatment or manufacturing (such as formaldehydeW in glues used in woodworking), has traveled extensively from its source or manufacturer, or has been cultivated or harvested in an unsustainable manner might not be considered green. In order for any material to be considered green, it must be resource efficient, not compromise indoor air quality or water conservation, and be energy efficient (both in processing and when in use in the shelter). Resource efficiency can be achieved by using as much recycled content, reusable or recyclable content, materials that employ recycled or recyclable packaging, locally available material, salvaged or remanufactured material, material that employs resource efficient manufacturing, and long-lasting material as possible.
List of some organic materials
List of inorganic materials
- Concrete can be made using cement (regular or eco-cement) or from vulcanic ash (pozzolana) -or alternatively brick dust- and hydrated lime. Waterproof concrete can be made using vulcanic ash and clay.
- galvanized steel is waterproof, resistant to rusting,
- stainless steel is also resistant to rust, unlike regular steel 
- recyclable plastics such as PE, PP, PVC, PS, SB; PSE, ABS PMMA, PTFE, PA, PC, PUR, EP, UP and PET. ISF has made 2 documents on how respectively discarded plastics and aluminum can be salvaged and reused in developing countries.
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Green Building Materials: Sustainable Building. CalRecycle. Web. 23 Oct. 2010.
|This page is a "stub" - it needs more content.
You are invited to.