Get our free book on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
HSU Chiapas/what to bring
What to bring
Here is an incomplete list of items to pack for the HSU Chiapas Program.
- travel umbrella, light
- beach towel
- Work gloves
- Work clothes
- lightweight raincoat (it can rain a lot in San Cristobal)
- Waterproof shoes
- antibacterial tissues
- cotton socks
- comfortable clothes for heat
- very comfortable walking shoes
- formal summer outfit (for formal occasions)
- hat for the sun
- moneybelt (optional - serves to bring some money and save things for personal use)
- sandals (optional)
- a small flashlight (optional)
- pocket money ($300 USD) [ATM card is safer]
- a small gift for your family (e.g. something from Humboldt)
- a dictionary (English / Spanish etc.)
- pens, pencil, eraser, notebook
- a calculator
- mosquito repellent (There are not many mosquitoes in San Cristobal, but may be needed in case of travel to Palenque)
- a shirt that read: "Humboldt State University” (optional)
- Memory Stick for use with computer.
- A jacket (it can be cold in the morning and evening)
- Books to donate to the library - These should be on Appropriate Technology, Science, the Environment, Social Justice, etc... and in English or Spanish.
- Any small equipment you would like to use/donate (e.g. hammer, multimeter, etc.)
Optional: At Your Own Risk
- Camera (This will help with assignments. Make sure to attend the cultural orientation before taking photos, as photo taking is prohibited in many ares, such as churches.)
- Laptop Computer (This will help a lot with assignments. The school facilities have wifi, but no computers. Alternatively you can use cybercafes.)
- Music player
- Musical Instruments
- In San Cristobal, Chiapas there are well stocked drug stores, but it is recommended to bring creams, sunscreen, and deodorant of your choice.
- In San Cristobal, Chiapas it can be cold in the morning and evening, so bring a sweater and jacket.
The exchange rate as of April 21st, 2010 is about 12 pesos per dollar. See http://www.google.com/search?q=dollars+in+pesos for more current information.