CCAT earthship construction
Retaining Walls[edit | edit source]
Whole tires are used to construct walls to reinforce unstable ground. Each tire is filled with compacted dirt, as shown in Figure 1. Tires are tacked vertically, adjacent tires are fastened together and metal posts are driven through the tire centers and anchored into the ground.
Benefits of Tire Retaining Walls[edit | edit source]
- Freezing and thawing will NOT cause the wall to crack.
- Moisture passes through the wall without effecting structure, eliminating expensive drains.
- Plants can grow in the wall, camouflaging it and not effecting the stability.
- Scrap tires are used effectively.
Photos from www.earthship.org
References:[edit | edit source]
- Earthship webpage www.earthship.org
- Rubber Technology International webpage www.RubberTechnology.com
- Turner-Fairbank Highway Research Center webpage www.tfhrc.gov