The Butterfly iQ is the world's first handheld, single-probe whole-body ultrasound system using proprietary semiconductor technology. The iQ’s diagnostic power, portability, durability, ease-of-use, and offline access for extended periods advances fracture diagnosis and care in resource-constrained environments.
The Butterfly iQ+ probe extends scanning time by 100%, is powered by a rechargeable battery with an extended battery life of 144 minutes of continuous scanning, and is built to last a traditional shift of 10-12 hours with intermittent scanning.
The iQ+ probe is connected with a cable to a mobile device with the Butterfly iQ app. The iQ+ must be cleaned and disinfected after use.
The iQ+ offers military-grade durability and has been tested to withstand an industry-leading 4-foot drop. The device has a durable, anodized aluminum body and a replaceable compression- and stomp-tested cable. The iQ+ has undergone rigorous testing to ensure shock resistance and protection from dust and water damage.
The operating temperature of the iQ+ is between 5°C to 39°C. The probe can withstand three days of storage at temperatures between -20°C and 50°C.
To withstand rough handling during transport, the iQ+ is stored inside a hard case with a tough polycarbonate exterior and soft, protective thermoplastic elastomer interior.
Butterfly iQ+ System Components[edit | edit source]
- Butterfly iQ+ Probe
- Charging Base
- Power Supply, and 4 Regional Adaptors (US, EU, UK, AU)
- Android or iOS Mobile Device Compatible with Butterfly iQ+
- Cable (compatible with the mobile device)
- Butterfly App (available in Google Play Store and Apple App Store)
- Butterfly Hard Case
- User Manual
- Ultrasound Gel
- Compatible Cleaning and Disinfection Products
- Optional: Ruggedized Mobile Device Case and Tablet Mount or Stand
According to the manufacturer, practitioners with "tenuous or intermittent lack of Wi-Fi may choose a tablet with LTE connection such that the images they collect can be transferred to the cloud over the LTE network and not stored locally on the device (which has robust-but-limited storage)."
Benefits of the Butterfly iQ+ for LMICs[edit | edit source]
- Affordability ($2,399 USD)
- Global Health Program members will be able to purchase Butterfly iQ devices with discounted annual subscription fees
- In 2020, Funding from Humanitarian Grand Challenges was provided to Bridge to Health Medical and Dental USA & MedGlobal to train local healthcare providers to use the Butterfly iQ device in Yemen
- In 2022, $5 million USD in funding from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation was awarded to provide Butterfly iQ devices to 1,000 healthcare workers in Sub-Saharan Africa
Procurement and Set-Up[edit | edit source]
The Butterfly iQ+ can only be purchased by and shipped directly to a licensed practitioner in countries where regulatory approval has been obtained. These countries include: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. The Butterfly iQ+ System can be either hand carried or shipped to other countries for clinical education use only.
The Butterfly App would need to be downloaded on the mobile device on which the Butterfly iQ+ would be used in the country where it was sold prior to arrival in a LMIC.
Regulatory Approval[edit | edit source]
We have already started investigating how to obtain regulatory clearance of the Butterfly iQ+ in Nigeria, and if time and resources permit after the Finalist Award phase, we would pursue regulatory clearance in Nigeria so licensed practitioners across the country would be able to purchase this device directly. If permitted, we would openly share our regulatory clearance documents with other LMICs to help scale up global access to the Butterfly iQ+.
If you wish to use a portable ultrasound device that already has regulatory approval in your region, the EchoNous Kosmos platform (~$8,500 to $12,500 USD) has regulatory clearance in the following 125 countries listed below:
- Northern Ireland
- United Kingdom
- Bosnia Herzegovina
- Czech Republic
- North Macedonia
- Saudi Arabia
- United Arab Emirates
- South Africa
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- Papua New Guinea
- South Korea
- Sri Lanka
- Costa Rica
- Dominican Republic
- El Salvador
- Puerto Rico
Acknowledgements[edit | edit source]
This work is funded by a grant from the Intuitive Foundation. Any research, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this work are those of the author(s), and not of the Intuitive Foundation.
References[edit | edit source]
- ↑ Ackermann O. Fracture sonography: a comprehensive clinical guide. Cham (Switzerland): Springer Nature Switzerland AG; 2019, 2021. 163 p.
- ↑ https://handheldultrasound.gehealthcare.com/
- ↑ https://vscan.rocks/product
- ↑ https://kosmosplatform.com/
- ↑ https://www.sonosite.com/products/sonosite-m-turbo
- ↑ https://www.butterflynetwork.com/iq
- ↑ https://www.butterflynetwork.com/global-health
- ↑ Jody McDonald, RVT; Inside Sales - Clinical Expert Consultant; Butterfly Network, Inc. Personal Communication. January 25, 2022.
- ↑ https://support.butterflynetwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030750152-Use-Without-Internet
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Butterfly Network, Inc. Butterfly iQ™/Butterfly iQ+™ Personal Ultrasound System - User Manual [Internet]. Butterfly iQ+. Butterfly Network, Inc.; 2020 [cited 2022 Feb 1]. Available from: https://manual.butterflynetwork.com/butterfly-iq-user-manual_rev-ac-en.pdf.
- ↑ Butterfly Network Reinvents Ultrasound Again With New Butterfly iQ+ [Internet]. Matamoros, TA: Butterfly iQ+; 2020 [cited 2022 Feb 1]. Available from: https://www.butterflynetwork.com/press-releases/butterfly-iq-pluss-press-release.
- ↑ Butterfly Network, Inc. Butterfly Hard Case [Internet]. Butterfly Network, Inc; 2022 [cited 2022 Feb 1]. Available from: https://store.butterflynetwork.com/us/en/product/butterfly-hard-case/.
- ↑ https://store.butterflynetwork.com/ca/en/product/butterfly-iq/pro/1-year/
- ↑ https://support.butterflynetwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028326031-Compatible-Devices
- ↑ https://www.apple.com/ca/ipad-10.2/
- ↑ https://store.butterflynetwork.com/us/en/product/butterfly-hard-case/
- ↑ https://support.butterflynetwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019540192-User-Manual
- ↑ https://support.butterflynetwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360040976672-Compatible-Cleaning-and-Disinfection-Products
- ↑ https://support.butterflynetwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360049651351-Third-Party-Accessories
- ↑ https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/HNTE2ZM/A/otterbox-symmetry-series-360-case-for-ipad-7th-8th-generation
- ↑ Dr. David Walton, Senior Director of Global Health, Butterfly Network, Inc. Personal communication. July 24, 2022.
- ↑ https://store.butterflynetwork.com/us/en/product-flow/step-1
- ↑ https://www.butterflynetwork.com/our-mission#globalhealthform
- ↑ https://humanitariangrandchallenge.org/innovator/bridge-to-health-usa/
- ↑ https://www.gatesfoundation.org/about/committed-grants/2022/03/inv040773
- ↑ https://ir.butterflynetwork.com/news/news-details/2022/Butterfly-Network-Receives-5M-Grant-to-Advance-Maternal-and-Fetal-Health/default.aspx
- ↑ https://support.butterflynetwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031231172-Who-Can-Purchase-Butterfly-iQ-
- ↑ Annmarie Lobdell, MHS, RDMS, RDCS, RVT; East Region - Inside Sales Representative; EchoNous Kosmos. Personal Communication. February 24, 2022.