About Support[edit source]
Appropedia is exploring low-key appropriate sponsorships. We have been running for over a decade on volunteers and donations. We are running low on money to maintain the servers and we could do so much more if we had some funds for technical development.
We are exploring various levels of support. Possible support agreements could include specific page, specific portal, front page, and sidebar in increasing value. In addition, a logo and link could appear on our Supporters page. We can also thank the organization on our blog, through our active social media channels and other communication channels.
Please let us know what you think about sponsorships. Do they detract from the Appropedia? Do they add to Appropedia? How should they look? Etc.
Please add your feedback here by clicking edit. If you remember please also click the signature button or type --~~~~ after your statement.
Ethical sponsorship[edit source]
To what extent will we, and will we be able to ask for and get what might be called "ethical sponsorship". (On Wiser W there was a group to consider such things - as website has now gone can't give a reference, Socially responsible investing W is nearest thing I can find on wikipedia, but the point of ethical sponsorship is to consider ethics at the other end eg as assessed by receivers not just the givers) Philralph (talk) 01:32, 29 November 2015 (PST)
- Hi Phil,
- I like the idea of accepting and recognizing supporters. Appropedia plans to experiment with our first one soon and look forward to getting more feedback on the concept/implementation. I met with a Google Adsense marketer today to learn more about the process. I don't think we are interested in traditional network advertising (like adsense) as it delivers such off target ads. Instead, I think that we should be receptive to building relationships with organizations that have marketing money, value add Appropedia (e.g. a link to a site a visitor is likely to use), have a commitment to being ethical, and want to feel good about where their money is going.
- --Lonny (talk) 17:36, 29 November 2015 (PST)
- You might be able to find an archived version on those pages via the Internet Wayback Machine on archive.org --Ethan (talk) 17:42, 29 November 2015 (PST)
- Hi Lonny, sounds good. If and when any of us want to find out more about an organisation there may be, either now or in the future, some useful links via our Ethical consumerism page(s). Have we got, or should we consider a page for people to suggest organisations to be approached? (eg by new ED) . Eg if exploring a UK context I'd suggest Good Energy W Philralph (talk) 08:23, 1 December 2015 (PST)
- Hi Phil, We don't have a page like that... but we could start submitting some right here. I think we will develop this aspect very slowly, so that we can pivot and grow with it and the community. We should have our first supporter(s) (at least one) up this week. Then we need to start exploring placement, value proposition, etc. Thanks! --Lonny (talk) 20:05, 2 December 2015 (PST)
I have mixed feelings about sponsorship. But the fact is we need money, and I personally haven't been able to make the time to work on fundraising (though I'm working on it, in a small way).
If we are to pursue sponsorship, then I'm happy that my main concerns are addressed in our strategy, i.e.
- Trying it out without a long term commitment.
- Being extremely selective about sponsors - not just "green" ads (e.g. hybrid vehicles) but ads that potentially serve our specific community and audience.
- Keeping it very low key - no distracting banners, no Flash, no blinking ads.
Our first supporter[edit source]
- They look like a good fit, and apparently they've been a source of supplies for makers in the Appropedia community. No obvious, significant downside.
- Just thinking... the link (simply their name) doesn't say much to me - maybe because I'm not their target market (I'm not a maker) or maybe there's a way to increase the value of the ad for them and for us. It would be hard to fit a good description into the sidebar, but perhaps there would be value for them in increasing their sponsorship to have something more descriptive. (Main page ad? Or is there a useful 2-3 word description that could fit in the sidebar?) --Chriswaterguy (talk) 15:47, 7 December 2015 (PST)
YouTube creator[edit source]
In addition, please feel free to donate!