I am a Cancer patent and i need something to do. I usually spend my time hiking though the woods or working hard at some job or project (mainly designing and building gardens). Because of my health i cannot get out as much. What can i do with my time that in bed, that will help my community? I am open for ideas anything will help?
- Hi Ibrahim,
- Great to have you here! You have definitely come to the right place with your question. On Appropedia, there are a lot of things you can do to help your community digitally. First it starts with your interest, knowledge and abilities. For instance, if you speak other languages and are interested in permaculuture, you can translate pages on agriculture (learning while working). If you have some computer skills and are interested in water, you can work on porting documents locked up in pdfs into wiki speak. You can look around for pages that need work, references or have not been created yet, and populate those pages with sound, scientific based information. Or you can describe in detail some of the projects that you have done. All of these suggestions are meant lead to your own learning while bolstering the information available to practitioners in your community. Please let us know if you have other ideas... or just be BOLD.
- Thank you for asking and caring, --Lonny 17:48, 23 February 2009 (UTC)
Awesome to have you working on some porting (Slow sand filtration water treatment plants is looking good). If you have any questions on the process, please contact some other Appropedians with porting experience, such as Steven or Chris.
Thanks, --Lonny 08:09, 26 February 2009 (UTC)
I have started building an aquaponics test system and i just wanted to tell the world. Its a small system only 50 gallons of fish tank volume and two grow beads but it is proving to be a great project. I will post pictures when i am further along on the system. So far i have learned that there are two major factors types of growing systems in aquaponics, number one is the Flood and Drain System the other is the Float System. The first uses a gravel media that is alternately flooded with ammonia rich water and drained witch in theory will provid ideal conditions for the Bacteria by providing them with both Ammonia and lots of oxygen to do there work. The other uses rafts that float in a grow bead filled completely with water and no media. This system seams to be used more on the larger systems but it need to have a clarifier of some sort in the system and seams to be a little more complicated. I am curios if anyone knows anything about the comparison of these two systems and if there are advantages or disadvantages that i have not foreseen.
Welcome to Appropedia! If you need help, please check out the Help pages (or the more in-depth one on WikiEducator).
Check your preferences and be sure you verify your email address and turn on email notification if you'd like it -- you can find out when your talk page, or any page on your watchlist, is modified. Please consider putting some information about yourself on your userpage and uploading a photo as well.
If you have a particular interest or project in mind, go ahead and start it! If you have questions or suggestions, the best place to leave them is at the Village pump - you should get a fast response. Also, feel free to leave me a note on my talk page if you have further questions, need help finding your way around, have a cool idea for a project, or just want to chat.
Delighted to have you here, --Steven M.
This is just a standard greeting Ibrahim. It's great to have you here, and thank you for your contributions! Feel free to ask me any questions. --Steven M. 17:35, 22 April 2009 (UTC)
Aquaponics continued[edit source]
Lately i have finished building a small module sized Aquaponics system. I would post the plans of how i built it but to be honest with everyone it was not that good of a system. I would like to however, post a lot of information of what i learned about the different ways a system can be built out of household items and different things that can go wrong when building a system. For example pump head loss due to sediment buildup in pipes. And tips for building a system, like making sure to use gravity and system design to reduce energy needs and system problems. Often little points can be ignored when building a home made system but some small problems will add up in the end to a lot of trouble. look for additions soon on the Aquaponics Page
Your 2021 impact stats are right here![edit source]
Hi Ibrahim! We thought you may want know that your top performing pages so far are:
- Aquaponics (25 039 page views) Update!
- Slow sand filtration (1 789 page views) Update!
- Slow sand filtration water treatment plants (450 page views) Update!
Overall, your impact has been of 27,278 page views, woozaa!
Also, your user page has received 148 visits! People are interested in knowing more about you, edit your user page to tell the world what you've been up to.
Thanks for your contributions and for making Appropedia great, have a merry green Christmas!!