We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
|Full Name: Shane William Oberloier|
|Position: MOST Researcher, MTU Teaching Assistant|
|Background: Electrical and Computer Engineering|
|Current School: Michigan Technological University|
|Interests: Machine Prototyping and Startup, Metal 3D Printing, Circuit Board Design and Manufacturing, 3D Printing, Energy Efficient Designs and Methods, Web Design, Teaching, VLSI, Artificial Neural Networks, Open Source Technology|
Hello! I am Shane Oberloier, currently a second year Ph.D student in the electrical engineering department at Michigan Technilogical University. I am a MOST researcher, currently focusing on metal 3D printing, energy monitoring systems, and open source electronics. I also teach Digital Logic, and Introductory Robotics
I am from the small town of Beaverton, MI. I now reside in Houghton, MI where I study electrical engineering at Michigan Technilogical University. I studied for my undergraduate degree at Saginaw Valley State University, where I worked on many projects including the FSAE race car, and power electronics design. I spent 3 years at a co-op job at Wineman Technology Inc. where I learned a lot about the process of engineering a machine from start to finish. I started at MTU in the Fall of 2016, where I've been working on metal 3D printing. I also work as a teaching assistant (TA), covering classes like EE2112, EE2174, and EE3173.
I got married in the summer of 2016. We have a black cat named Salem, who likes to knock bins of SMD components off of my desk.
- Metal 3D Printing TIG adaption for Lulzbot TAZ
- Designing a fully modular metal 3DP system which can be adapted to the TAZ. The end result will be low cost with high resolution
- A low cost platform for precision prototyping of electromagnetic devices. Includes a custom process control board and a case study on current transformers.
- A data-acquisition board based around the Arduino Nano. It includes multiple "super analog" channels which can be configured to work with a wide range of sensors.
Graduate work at MTU
- Helped with circuit design, troubleshooting, and fine-tuning. Also peer reviewer
- A fully open source system to monitor power consumption of various loads (ranging from 5-120V & 0.5 - 400A). The system is flexible and can handle up to 256 channels (at a relatively low sample frequency). All data is collected and stored for later analysis. A real time web-based display is also planned.
Undergraduate work at SVSU
- Cardinal Formula Racing Electrical System
- Project encompassed many different smaller projects. The main project was designing the wiring harness for the car. Other parts included designing a data acquisition system (using an Arduino and recycled sensors), engine calibration, and vehicle testing.
- Single Phase Power Inverter
- The Inverter project entailed understanding a schematic designed by Dr. Yu Zou, and designing a PCB from it. The board was designed and it is currently being tested and refined.
- Automated Copper Applicator for PCB Prototyping (ACAPP)
- ACAPP is a project done in collaboration with Dr. Yu Zou all made possible by SVSU's Undergraduate Research Project Grant. The idea is an additive method for constructing circuit boards that is energy efficient, and cost effective. The machine will be designed to automatically lay out a copper tape based on a circuit designed in our custom designed circuit-design suite.
- Programmable Artificial Neural Chip Acquires Knowledge by Experience (PANCAKE)
- PANCAKE was my senior capstone project. The equations behind a multi-layer perceptron with back propagation were brought into the discrete domain. From these discrete domain points, digital logic circuits were derived, and were implemented in CMOS VLSI.
- MOST Researcher
- JUN2016 - Current
- Designing metal 3D printer adaptions, as well as other Open source hardware projects.
- Teaching Assitant
- AUG2016 - Current
- Teaching labs mainly focused on embedded systems, as well as intro circuits labs.
- Interactive Aerial
- JUN2016 - Current
- Designing Embedded systems for custom UAV solutions. I now am employed on a consultative basis.
- Wineman Technology Inc.
- OCT2013 - MAY2016
- AutoCAD design of electrical controls for data acquisition systems. Printed circuit board design in NI Circuit Design Suite. Machine start-up and debugging.
- Saginaw Valley State University Electrical Engineering Department
- APR2014 - MAY2016
- Designing and testing circuit boards for power electronics. Design of CNC machine for PCB prototyping. Machining, soldering, 3D modeling, purchasing.
- Saginaw Valley State University Chemistry Department
- NOV2012 - MAY2016
- Setting up laboratory experiments. Basic chemistry for mixtures and dilutions. Instrument repair and maintenance.
Some of my for-fun interests include: Hiking, skiing, biking, sailing, Dungeons and Dragons, guitar, wood working, web design & blogging, and classic video games.