|This user is a member with an interest and knowledge of Photovoltaics.|
|This user is a member with an interest and knowledge of Open Source Hardware.|
Bio[edit | edit source]
My name is Shan Zhong, I am a master student in Material Science and Engineering Department at Michigan Technological University. My current GPA is 4.0. Now I'm really interested in applied sustainability, especially in the combination of solar energy and 3-D printer and recyclebot.
I completed my Bachelor's degree with GPA of 3.5 at Changzhou University, China. My undergraduate major was about Polymer and I did several researches about it, so I have research experience.
Current Projects[edit | edit source]
EPBT of Solar PV powered recyclebot[edit | edit source]
Purpose[edit | edit source]
Solar PV system and recyclebot both are effective device for saving energy and beneficial to our environment. When using solar PV system power recyclebot, is has double effect on saving energy. Thus it's necessary to do life cycle analysis on the whole system and calculate its energy payback time, which can quantify its effect on saving energy and extend the application of solar PV powered recyclebot.
Methodology[edit | edit source]
- Investigate the embodied energy of recyclebot and “PV + battery” system.
- Base on the energy for producing filament from waste HDPE, calculate how many kg of filament need to be made to pay for recyclebot according to the energy saved, and then assess the EPBT of recyclebot.
- Energy saved by recyclebot = energy for producing filament from raw materials – energy for producing filament from consumed plastics
- Combining “PV + battery” system with recyclebot, assess the EPBT of total system.
- Energy saved by total system = energy for producing filament from raw materials
Results[edit | edit source]
- The embodied energy of recyclebot is 404.13 MJ.
- The embodied energy of solar PV system in this project is 2276.44 MJ.
- EPBT of recyclebot is 24.4 days based on HDPE.
- EPBT of the whole system is 0.39 years based on HDPE.
Research Experience[edit | edit source]
- Study on Preparation and Properties of Aqueous Polyurethane Emulsion------2012.10-2013.6
- Study on Curing Kinetics of Phenol Formaldehyde Resin------2013.10-2014.3
- Preparation of Waterborne Epoxy Resin Based on Hydrophilic Amino Acid------2014.9-2015.1