|Hardware||CC BY-SA 4.0|
Problem being addressed[edit | edit source]
Rapid diagnosis is critical for the treatment and containment of tuberculosis. Traditional methods are either both expensive and time consuming or inaccurate. In resource-limited areas, finding an inexpensive, accurate, and timely solution is necessary to help curb the spread of TB.
Detailed description of the solution[edit | edit source]
TB Rapid Test (TBRT) Project utilizes over 2500 serum/saliva samples that have been collected from patients. The project seeks to identify antigens that characterize the many strains of tuberculosis. The TBRT provides about 70% sensitivity, a specificity of 95%, and faster results. The reduced diagnostic delay and expedited referral and treatment can help to reduce the number of TB infections, especially in resource-limited areas where waiting for diagnostic results is not always practical.
Designed by[edit | edit source]
- Designed by: Carol Holm-Hansen from Norwegian Institute of Public Health (primary investigator)
- Manufacturer (if different): n/a
- Manufacturer location: n/a
When and where it was tested/implemented[edit | edit source]
Test samples have been collected from patients across the globe.
Funding Source[edit | edit source]
Received grant from Grand Challenges in Global Health (May 2010). Also has funding from Norwegian Institute of Public Health and the Research Council of Norway.
References[edit | edit source]
Other internally generated reports[edit | edit source]
- Holm-Hansen C. “Development of a rapid serological screening test for TB” (2011). Retrieved on Aug 1, 2014 from http://www.edctpforum.org/2011/wp-content/uploads/presentations/to11_carol_holm-hansen.pdf.
- Norwegian Institute of Public Health. “Norwegian Institute of Public Health receives $100,000 Grand Challenges Explorations Grant for innovative health research” (Jun 8, 2010). Retrieved on Aug 1, 2014 from http://www.fhi.no/eway/default.aspx?pid=240&trg=Content_6715&Main_6664=6898:0:25,8193:1:0:0:::0:0&MainContent_6898=6715:0:25,8197:1:0:0:::0:0&Content_6715=6683:84538::1:6717:6:::0:0.
Externally generated reports[edit | edit source]
- Grand Challenges in Global Health. “Grand Challenges Explorations Grants” (2010). Retrieved on Aug 1, 2014 on http://www.grandchallenges.org/Explorations/Pages/GrantsAwarded.aspx?Topic=Diagnostics&Round=all&Phase=1.