Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Meat is animal flesh that is eaten as food. It often refers to the flesh of mammalian species (pigs, cattle, lambs, etc.) and not to the flesh of fish and other seafood, poultry, and other animals.
Impacts of flesh of mammalian and non-mammalian species on the environment
The environmental impact of meat production greatly depends on factors such as:
Adopting a diet that does not include animal flesh
- Aquatic animals are generally very efficient animals for producing animal flesh. This as there are several advantages of water as a growth medium. Aquatic animals can convert more of their food into growth since they do not need to support their own weight.
- Even crustaceans such as lobsters are partly buoyed by the water and only need to support a fraction of their weight.
- Most fish do not spend energy to regulate their body temperature. In addition, water is a three-dimensional growing space, so yields per unit area can be quite high when compared to land-based farming.
- Cows Aren't Part of a Climate-Healthy Diet, Study Says
- According to Livestock Farming Systems and their Environmental Impacts (see Quest magazine, september 2009):
- 1 kg of porc meat produced 3,9 to 10 kg CO², 8,9 to 12,1 m² of land is required (land use)
- 1 kg of beef (cattle) produced 14 to 32 kg CO², 27 to 49 m² of land is required (land use)
- 1 kg of milk produced 0,8 to 1,3 kg CO², 1,1 to 2 m² of land is required (land use)
- 1 kg of chicken meat produced 3,7 to 6,9 kg CO², 8,1 to 9,9 m² of land is required (land use)
- 1 kg of eggs produced 3,9 to 4,9 kg CO², 4,5 to 6,2 m² of land is required (land use)
- http://edepot.wur.nl/138168 and http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1871141309003692
- Meat is murder on the environment - New Scientist, - 18 July 2007. "A kilogram of beef is responsible for more greenhouse gas emissions and other pollution than driving for 3 hours while leaving all the lights on back home."
|This page is a "stub" - it needs more content.
You are invited to.