Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Graduating with a Ph.D from Queen's
Requirements for graduation from Ph.D at Queen's University
- Completion of courses
- Sucessful completion of Part A comprehensive exams
- Completion and defence of Part B- Research Proposal
- Completion and defence of thesis
Direct to Ph.D
Promoted from MaSc.
- At least one outside of the department, which can be a 400 level course
- All others must be masters level or above
Part A comprehensive exams
- Must be taken within the first 4 months of registration in Ph.D
- Focus on three major categories chosen by student. A list of possible topic areas can be found here
- Exams are oral and typically all three are taken in the same week, but never on the same day.
- A failure of comprehensives means they must be re-taken at the next sitting of the comprehensives (another 4 months)
- A failure of the second round of comprehensives means removal from the program.
Part B research proposal
- Must be submitted within 16 months of registration in Ph.D
- Outlines proposed research for the Ph.D, it must not exceed 40 pages. Outlines and writing hints are found here
- Defended to a committe determined by the supervisor, not neccesarily the same as the thesis defence committe
- One from students department
- One from external department
- One defence chair (Head of department or delegate)
- Any other members of supervisory committee
- Proposal must be submitted to committe at least two weeks before the defence
- The time of the defence is at the discretion of the supervisor and Supervisory Committee
- A Pass or referred decision will be made within an hour of the defence. If referred, the proposal must be defended again within three months
Defence of Thesis
- The thesis committee must consist of
- Committee Chair-appointed by School of Graduate Studies
- Academic External to University
- External to Department
- Internal to Department
- Thesis must be submitted 25 working days (typ. 5 weeks) prior to thesis defence
- Thesis can be submitted in hard copy or digitally, at the discretion of individual members of the thesis committee
Ph.D awards and deadlines
- NSERC & OGS- Typicical deadlines are October of the year before funding.
- eg. For funding in Sept. 2012, deadlines are in Oct.2011