Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Media representations of forests are quite varied and diverse. Here are some places you can find them.
http://blogi.greenpeace-online.net/?s=Inari (dead link)
Photography based exhibition and web project http://kansallismaisema.fi/info/
The Tree People (not active anymore) http://osocio.org/message/the_tree_people/
Nice idea http://osocio.org/message/we_are_sorry/
Piece of Green http://www.pieceofgreen.fi/
A location of a forest owned by Markus Petz http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=fi&q=61.571667,+26.675283&vps=1&jsv=225b&sll=37.776346,-122.411728&sspn=0.030054,0.080252&g=37.771008,+-122.41175&ie=UTF8&geocode=FVOCqwMdUwiXAQ&split=0
Pimp my moto campaing for making forestry more appealing for young people in the Northern Finland (Kainuu)
Black Metal identity is strongly build on forest imagery and mythos related to nordic forests
and some frm sweden
http://www.swedrock.se/display.php?id=3964&lang=en http://images.google.fi/imgres?imgurl=http://www.swedrock.se/img/covers/Mutilation-conflict.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.swedrock.se/display.php%3Fid%3D743&usg=__HBoawzcCwuABGT_zTBWzwI_blFw=&h=348&w=350&sz=44&hl=fi&start=9&sig2=r3V0EZeciOsfs8rG91LxuA&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=d3L220nIYwuqaM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnordic%2Bforest%2Bconflict%2Bplaces%26um%3D1%26hl%3Dfi%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DN%26rls%3Dcom.ubuntu:en-US:official%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=U4DdS7j0B8uJ_Aa879WEBw http://www.swedrock.se/display.php?id=3952&lang=en
the song deals with an ecological theme, explaining in the lyrics the need to mobilize to find solutions. The music video was produced as an animated feature and illustrates the lyrics.
http://www.snapqc.org/fr/node/376 http://parolecitoyenne.org/node/22636&dossier_nid=21601 http://www.zetika.com/20090316872/environnement/initiative-citoyens-pour-la-nature-campagne-de-sensibilisation-le-caribou-est-a-bout.html
" The wood here symbolises the old way of life, the rural one, when human beings were closer to nature and understood it better. Now they are destroying it, and the narrator wishes us to hear the voice of Nature singing in these songs from the Wood, telling us to come back to a better way of life in harmony with Nature."
and from Jack in the Green
"It's no fun being Jack-In-The-Green no place to dance, no time for song. He wears the colours of the summer soldier carries the green flag all the winter long. Jack, do you never sleep does the green still run deep in your heart? Or will these changing times, motorways, powerlines, keep us apart? Well, I don't think so I saw some grass growing through the pavements today."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finntroll name has relationship to Forest mythos wild trolls in wild wood NEED TO RESEARCH MORE IF THEY HAVE LINKS
RIP RIP WOODCHIP Words and Music by John Williamson
Remember the axemen knew their timber Cared about the way they brought it down Crosscut, blackbutt, tallowood and cedar Build another bungalow - pioneer town
Rip rip woodchip - turn it into paper Throw it in the bin, no news today Nightmare, dreaming - can't you hear the screaming? Chainsaw, eyesore - more decay
FOREST RELATED SONGS
FILMS AND VIDEOS
Last Yoik in Sami Forest http://www.elonmerkki.net/en/index.html
Raha kasvaa puussa (Stora Enso in Uruguay) http://vimeo.com/4693550
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1018789/ - Spirit of the Forest (spanish kids)
Forest NON EUROPEAN
http://www.baka.co.uk/baka/ Baka Forest People
Journey to the Amazon - Sharon Isbin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_forest - deep forest French grp
- The Emerald Forest
- Haunted Forest
- The Forest
- Severed - Forest of the Dead
- Forest of Death
- ??The Elm-Chanted Forest
- ??The Heart Is a Dark Forest
- Piano Forest: The Perfect World of Kai
- Forest of the Dead
- Blair Witch Project
- 殯の森 ・The Mourning Forest
- The Forest House (The Mists of Avalon: Prequel) - film?? Mists of Avalon one of most important pagan modern stories
- After Five in the Forest Primeval
- Mystic Forest
- Save the Forest - not forest related but uses idea of activism in title
- Forest of Visions: Ayahuasca, Amazonian Spiritu...
- The Impenetrable Forest: My Gorilla Years in Ug...
- Stolen Forest
- Spider Forest - Wald der verlorenen Seelen
- The Buried Forest
- Forest Primeval
- Silent Running (1972 film shows last of forests in a space station - when the crew is ordered to destroy the forests on member goes mad kills the others and the forest is saved. Shows idealised forests both boreal and temperate. (at 7min in words explain forests being saved)
Clip Kino HELSINKI
Here are the forest short films and suggestions for the Clip Kino-
Activism Videos (music) ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATqz1Xg9OZE (aux arbres citoyens)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtcwFVeYna4 (greenpeace canada - save the boreal forest)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la6oHIsEJV4 (student work for greenpeace canada?)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6JqQXTFqhY (Resquing the South Finlands forst, Luonnonsuojeluliitto)
ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn8dfCH3wqg (permaculture machinima)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLQ7ySROLQc (second life machinima)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaJjPRwExO8 (Greenpeace Kit Kat commercial spoof)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQL8QfyzcMs (amateur kit kat video commenting the greenpeace anti add)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_cHM4dQM_c (tissue add spoof)
ehkä ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMsU_6fGPEw (WWF generic forest protection video)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k22oHm0O3Sg (Homeless squirrel)
A Cook on the Wildside - jos ehtii*Episode 1 12:07 - 15:43 Ross the Witch and
- oak wine ep 2 second half chicken in the woods
pätkä*2009 Blueberry Fiasco - Thailand
SCi-Fi forest: ehkä*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvHI6tEUSGI (amazon pipe robot)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYfOyriR-ws (Drone in Canada)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuAcDL5tbNQ another version: eihttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEK_K0vxSAM
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2V8GFqk_Y (timber jack)
ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD-i4j-NBl8 (timber jack rip off)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk2vR8w2sjc (L.A.R.P.)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBGDmin_38E (Pandora)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8mmw7GolE&feature=related (humorously obscure example of the big foot genre)
ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGZJFK7-R0A&feature=related (fairy sighting)
Forest workers' perspective ei* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7Pch4Gg6u8&feature=related ei* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bke9Ir3myfc&feature=related ei* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdMMSdfeXPo&feature=related ei* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhOD1YCMajQ&feature=related
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1r6Dzo2J4I&feature=related 7min
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExCoRtMNqVU&feature=related (Harvester drivers' song v.2) 5min
ei* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExCoRtMNqVU&feature=related (Harvester drivers' song)
Forest as a joke
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGrQcQ9fWLc (david atemborough pastiche)3min
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWVyJ-YG3ew (activist fail) 1min
Do It Yourself nature document movies
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AEZbWtELQI (greenpeace campaign video)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc9hBEo-Ons (response for the greenpeace campaign video?)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAIjsCkbYd0 (paintings of eroticising the forest)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWVkbY6VUJM (parody of it) 1min
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC1BPb1A2VE (Coldcut, Timber)
ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ePXVWt5M0 (second life machinima) ehkä*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SskeIybYXmU (second life machinima)2min ehkä*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqWznfnCdQ (second life machinima)4min
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5eTErTEAZQ (machinima) 6min
ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R7uZX7OWf4 (Sherwood, Rothbury music festival)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtPs3UWTNg0 (Sherwood, Rothbury music festival) 1:20min
ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zVotmc8RM (Sherwood, Rothbury music festival)
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzuNOI5-zhE (Finnish forest party near H)elsinki 1:20min
ehkä*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPuY2OTFBl0 (Finnish forest party)4:50 ei*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rEreaWiuww (Finnish forest party) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTY7L30maG0 (Chinese Black Metal) 4:13
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ggADGs8WyY (Interesting self-made black metal video with interesting comments too) 3:20min
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rftn2FQSLY (Computer Game: Just Cause 2 - Save the Forest mission) 3:00-
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpJGZ9RHAvU (1:01-1:27 Eco add spoof "Our company will plant a tree")
A single tree will not save the world - Advertisers must keep their environmental promises
Eco-friendliness is a sales pitch affecting the purchasing decisions of more and more consumers. Even though we have seen a reduction in the worst possible forms of marketing excess, the Consumer Agency has had to interfere with advertising that exaggerates the effect of consumer purchasing decisions on the state of the environment.
The Consumer Agency has been monitoring the use of environmental claims in marketing since the 1990s. In the first marketing campaigns with environmental themes, the “green” aspect was often superficial and lacked any factual backing. To rectify the situation, the Agency prepared environmental marketing guidelines for the companies based on the Consumer Protection Act.
The guidelines emphasise that marketing claims need to be factual and exact. Evidence must also be available to support all claims. For a product to be called eco-friendly, it needs to have significantly fewer environmental effects than other comparable products.
Environmental marketing resurfaced in 2007, together with the discussion concerning climate change. Many companies had developed their methods and products to be more eco-friendly, but presented exaggerated claims in their advertising. The Consumer Agency took action against ads where, for example, bio-fuel was promised to “bring about a cleaner world, litre by litre” and replacing your faucet would “halve water consumption and save money, energy and the environment.”
At the moment, green themes are used for marketing cosmetics, detergents, furniture, automobiles, construction supplies, energy and groceries. The exaggeration has reduced, but the advertisements still draw too broad conclusions on the effects of consumer choices.
For example, Omo stated at the end of their TV commercial for the “Pikkujätti” detergent that “every child is entitled to a better world.” Kellogg’s, on the other hand, offered their cereal with the slogan “Buy now - we will plant a tree.” The advertisements led consumers to believe that by buying this product the consumer could promote the well-being of the environment. The Consumer Agency considered both advertisements misleading. A detergent or a single tree sprout alone cannot change the world.
In addition to Finland, authorities have paid attention to environmental marketing in other OECD countries. OECD has reminded that ambiguous and exaggerated marketing claims may reduce consumer interest and confidence in eco-friendly products. In the end, misleading marketing will harm consumers, law-abiding companies and the environment.
The Consumer Agency newsletter “Current Issues in Consumer Law” presents more environmental marketing cases processed by the Consumer Agency. The Agency has also arranged a seminar for companies regarding the principles of environmental marketing.
Consumer Agency guidelines The use of environmentally oriented claims in marketing
Guidelines for the use of environmental claims in the marketing of cars