We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Objective: Make fabrication facilities and resources accessible.
Fab Focus is a virtual hub to facilitate the development of physical production hubs known as Open Source Fab Labs and the partner networks required to sustain them. The Austin Fab Lab and Factor e Farm are Fab Partners in this movement.
This hub is to facilitate coordination and participation. That begins with discussion at Open Manufacturing and ends with usable resources found from here. Develop and use these resources and add as needed.
- 1 Fab Discussion Focus
- 2 Resources
Fab Discussion Focus
"Here is a model to use when approaching the Open Manufacturing list with your design inquires. Please revise it for general use. The Open Manufacturing list began as a discussion of theory. We now need to move forward and collaborate for action in order to put theory to practice."
- Define the production-in-focus
- Make a concise wiki for each project to inform our group.
- Be extremely open source
- State your project clearly to the Open Manufacturing list to incite collaboration.
Inquire the group for...
In general practice this looks like...
- Who has the production knowledge for construction? What is the most effective knowledge to use?
- Where can the materials be found? Who has them freely available to contribute? (or) Where can they be found for least cost?
- How can we attract funding? Where can we attract it? Will you fund the production-in-focus?
- Who will participate?
- Show how! Reflect this in discussion and your wiki.
Let's perfect the art of...
Add to these lists as you see fit.
Partner community fabrication facilities and the people that organize them.
Step-by-step instructions are documented using the most effective media. This section describes what can be placed in the Fab Instruction of each product wiki.
Available physical materials are listed in addition to the knowledge already generated. This section describes what to place in the Physical Resources of each product wiki.
Benefits for fabricators and investors
The first business model of focus helps produce fabrication facilities and facility network.
Social networking and viral marketing resources. Organizational models are developed as needed.