Aurora Solar Software
Aurora Solar, founded in 2014, produces a solar design software for professionals in the solar industry. It is an end-to-end solar design and sales solution that allows solar contractors to quickly and remotely design an accurate solar design for a site using satellite imagery, estimate how much energy it will produce and the resulting utility bill savings, model different financing scenarios, and develop customized sales proposals.
The software can model commercial and residential solar systems. Key Features:
• Consumption Profile: Users can upload Green Button interval data to model customers' load profiles, or estimate their load profile throughout the year based on building characteristics.
• Accurate 3D Site Models: Site models can be drawn quickly using a tool that automatically infers the roof characteristics based on the perimeter. LIDAR and Computer Vision can be used to ensure the accuracy of the building model.
• Shading Analysis: Aurora's remote shading analysis has been validated by NREL to be comparable in accuracy to on-site shade measurements so installers can save time and cost by eliminating truck rolls. Additionally, bankable shade reports that are validated/accepted by most major rebate authorities.
• PV System Design: Aurora’s database of modules, inverters, and all other components allows you to design a custom PV system of your choosing. Aurora automatically detects engineering errors such as invalid string lengths or setback violations. Alternatively, with the AutoDesigner feature, users can specify a desired energy offset percentage or bill savings target and the AutoDesigner will iterate through thousands of potential designs to find an optimal design automatically.
• Performance Simulation- Aurora has NREL-validated performance estimates and is currently the only software capable of simulating performance at a "sub-module" level, allowing more accurate modeling of designs with Module-Level Power Electronics (MLPEs) such as microinverters and DC optimizers. The system outputs a chart of estimated production for each month of the year, as well as a loss diagram indicating where production is lost.
• Pre and Post Solar Bills: With an extensive database of utility rates, as well as the ability to input custom utility rates, Aurora can accurately estimate post-solar bills for net-metered customers. It can also model income from feed-in tariffs or other incentives like SRECs.
• Financial Analysis: Analyze different financing options for the customer such as loans, leases, and PPAs, and calculate a variety of metrics such as Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) or Internal Rate of Return (IRR) for each.
• Sales Proposals: All of this data can be pulled into customizable sales proposals, with detailed visualizations of the site model and proposed design, to communicate the value to prospective solar customers.