Openness is one of the most important guiding principles for sharing content on Appropedia. It serves as an important value to ensure that any community in the world has free access to technical knowledge, to empower communities and solve global issues.
Why openness[edit | edit source]
Appropedia was born with the goal of ensuring that anyone in the world has access to the knowledge required to know, study and implement solutions.
- This is only possible through a collaborative mindset.
- Individuals and educational
- Organizations as a guiding principle
- Reproducibility of knowledge and data allows for knowledge to effect change in the world.
- Collaboration: Creating space for collaboration to tackle the challenges of sustainability.
Conditions for openness[edit | edit source]
The Open Definition is a starting point to describe the fundamental characteristics of open content. We recommend a suitable license for Appropedia.
Access[edit | edit source]
From the Open Definition: The work must be provided as a whole and at no more than a reasonable one-time reproduction cost, and should be downloadable via the Internet without charge. Any additional information necessary for license compliance (such as names of contributors required for compliance with attribution requirements) must also accompany the work. Access to content on Appropedia is granted by individuals and organizations through a license and made accessible on Appropedia.
Machine readability[edit | edit source]
The work must be provided in a form readily processable by a computer and where the individual elements of the work can be easily accessed and modified.
- Documentation of typology, all elements that are needed (instructions, list of materials, etc.)
- Well-classified content
- Easiness of remix and redistribution
Open formats[edit | edit source]
The work must be provided in an open format. An open format is one which places no restrictions, monetary or otherwise, upon its use and can be fully processed with at least one free/libre/open-source software tool.
- Ported content
- Portability: easily exported to other formats.
License[edit | edit source]
Permissions required[edit | edit source]
- Permisions to use, redistribute, modify, separate, compile, non-discriminatory, propagation, application to any purpose, free of charge
- Reduce discrimination
Conditions[edit | edit source]
How does it apply to Appropedia[edit | edit source]
Knowledge[edit | edit source]
- Wikimedia's licenses (SA licenses) apply to the intent of Appropedia
- Allow for anyone in the world to create knowledge, contribute and to ensure that it remains open for anyone
Open edit and derivatives[edit | edit source]
Hardware[edit | edit source]