Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Recycled Concentrated Solar Heater
An old water heater was donated to my high school's pre-engineering class. After watching an episode of "The Cosmos," in which a farm of parabolic solar concentrators were used to heat water in order to power a steam engine that irrigated water, I was inspired to recycle the old water heater and turn it into a concentrated solar water heater.
Recycle an old household water heater and an old school chair and turn it into a solar water heater
- Research solar heater designs
- Model full scale design
- Model and build a 3-D printed small scale prototype
- Test effectiveness of design based on prototype
- Build full scale solar concentrator
Before starting to design my concentrated solar water heater I researched what some other people hade made.
There were two main designs I found:
- Parabolic concentrator
- Commercially available parabolic concentrated solar food cooker for camping
- DIY parabolic concentrated solar water heater
- Industrial parabolic concentrator farms to power steam engines (like the one I saw on "the Cosmos")
- Flat plate collector
- DIY flat plate solar collector
- Commercially available flat plate solar collector for home use
Describe your design here.
Next level heading
You may need deeper level headings. Just keep adding equal signs to get that.
|3" pvc pipe||free|
|smaller glass tube||$7.20|
|larger glass tube||$8.30|
|reflective mylar film||$11.00|
Results and Discussion
The next steps.