Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Building Insulation ECM
|This page was developed by the Queen's University Applied Sustainability Research Group.|
With the efficiency gains that are possible in the boiler and chiller areas, it is important to ensure that the climate control energy expended is not wasted. Common problems include insufficient insulation volume, moisture build-up and improper installation.
General Insulation Information
- Level of attic insulation (amount, type, R-value) <-
- Insulated area(s) <-
- Rigid insulation (existence, condition, method of securing, water drainage/permeability)
- Attic venting
- Vapour barrier (separate unit, included in batts) <-
- Suspended ceilings (existence, cooling vs. heating costs and loads)
- Wall design (type, size, R-values, access to building drawings)
- Existence of cavities (accessibility)
- Existence of "Fire Stop"
- Glazing (area exposed to sunlight, locations, types, age, R-value, solar heat-gain treatment)
- Existence of storm windows
- Relative air leakage between consecutive panes
- Reflective interior window films (existence)