About Me[edit | edit source]
Hola! My name is Amanda Gates but some people call me Mandy. I am a Humboldt transplant with deep roots. My parents were born and raised here and all of my eight grandparents have lived in Fortuna for my whole life. During the summer I would visit my family in Humboldt. Every time I return to this magical place, I take a deep breath and feel at home.
I am a colorado native and lived there for 10 yrs. My mom sisters and I moved to SLC, UT for 8 yrs. I decided to move here with my mom in '98. I got my AA in general studies at CR and then my Massage Therapy Cert. at Heartwood in So Hum. I owned a small business in Trinidad for 6 yrs. After injuring my wrist I sold it and worked as an Inn Keeper at the Lost Whale in Trinidad for 2 yrs. I decided to go back to school when they let me go because of their budget, but kept my coworker who had a degree from HSU. This made me think about getting one for myself.
I'm not sure what I really want to do or "be when I grow up". I am interested in making a difference in the world, while enjoying it as much as possible. I would like to know more about sustainable living, appropriate technology and ecotourism.
I am a Recreation Major with a minor in Spanish. I am going to do a spring semester in Costa Rica, maybe the summer in Mexico, and god willing a year in Spain.
P.S. I never talk this much or write about myself this much. Just geeking out.
Interests in Technology and the Environment[edit | edit source]
- Learning about the way things work; what isn't working in the world and solutions to the problems we face
- Sustainable Living, Permaculture, Ecotourism
- Easy appropriate technology I can do my self and show others
Experience in Technology and/or the Environment[edit | edit source]
- Watching technology change around me
- Reading about and hearing about ways technology affects the environment
- Wanting to know more about this subject and therefore taking this class