I am currently a student at Cal Poly Humboldt and am studying Environmental Resource Engineering and Spanish, with a minor in Appropriate Technology. During the summer of 2008, I worked in Parras, Mexico with a partner to create the UTC solar water pasteurizer.
Parras Information[edit | edit source]
- Nombre: Ryndie Azevedo
- Teléfono en Parras: 422-2101
- Ubicación en Parras: Colegio Militar #205
Intereses en Tecnología Apropiada[edit | edit source]
- Appropriate technology is extremely important, especially in today's, in my opinion, over-technified world, because of it's ability to create technology which is of real use and value for the majority of the world's people. It means, creating systems that are local, sustainable, in-tune with the culture, and affordable. I am looking forward to learning more about such technology, the people that use it, and about myself in the process!
- I am a big fan of hands on activity, both recreationally and in the work place. I hope to learn new skills, a new language, and have a good time through it all. I am very much looking forward to the hard work of working with adobe and possibly gardening for the community.
Experencia en Tecnología Apropiada[edit | edit source]
- When I was in elementary school, I left the United States to study in Mexico for about half a year. Obviously it was a completely different experience, but one of the events that sticks out is how my school decided to build a new wall around the school. As a result of lack of funds, they were not able to afford to pay for tons of manual laborers to help build it. Instead, every student (or group of students) helped to carry the blocks and place them on the wall. Not only did this save money, but it also taught the students a valuable lesson about the strength of communities working together to better their lives.
- I have helped and encouraged my family to create and take care of an organic garden which supplies them with much of their needed produce. Before hand, they spent exorbitant amounts of money buying produce that was expensive, less healthy, and would often times end up rotting in the fridge. Now however, their produce is fresh, healthy, and there for them to pick when they are ready to eat it or share with other family and friends.
Criterios de Tecnología Appropriada[edit | edit source]
- La gente local puede usarlo.
- No es muy caro.
- La tecnología usa materiales locales
- Es sostentable
- La gente local puede reparar y mantenerlo
- Los residentes quieren la tecnología
- Es práctico por los stilos de sus vidas
- Es adaptado a su cultura
- No tiene un efecto perjudicial a sus vidas o a el medio ambiente