Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
- Name: Katie Harris
- I am a fouth year Humboldt State University student studying Environmental Science with an emphasis on Energy and Climate. I am the varsity coxswain of the Humboldt State women's crew team, but when I'm not in the boat, I'm on my bike.
Favorite Appropedia Pages
- Principles of urban planning - I strongly believe that by designing spaces from a pedestrian's perspective instead of a automobile's perspective, our communities become less polluting, more connected, and much more enjoyable.
- Industrial ecology - A look at life cycle assessment from an industrial perspective.
ENGR 370 Energy, Technology and Society
Experience and Resources
I have the following experience, skills or resources to share with Engr370:
- I worked with Green Campus during Spring semester, 2010 as an Energy Audit Intern.
- I worked with a non-profit organization called Friends of Pathways, based out of my hometown of Jackson, Wyoming. Friends of Pathways promotes bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure and teaches courses and provides grant money to support sustainable transportation opportunities in the region.
- I worked for one summer in city government in Jackson, Wyoming, focusing on transportation issues and associated land use and planning concerns.
ENGR 305 Appropriate Technology
Interests in Appropriate Technology
- Transportation- How do we design systems that will allow citizens the mobility they desire without the associated environmental damage?
- Sustainable building- I am interested in all components: site selection, land preparation, materials, architecture, efficiencies, access, maintenance... the list goes on...
Experience in Appropriate Technology
- I have basic construction skills, problem solving, and general McGyver-ing experience.
- I have experience with vermicomposting, a bit of gardening, and basic botanical knowledge.
- I conducted research on living roofs and created a model for an IT 225 project.
- I held a free community workshop in Eureka in 2012 for community members.