This page is a capture of the content discussed at the "Economic Development" table at the Silicon Valley Idealist.org meeting.
For you not-so-wiki-familiar types, you can easily make changes by clicking on the edit tab at the top of this page. You can add "side comments" (not "snide comments"!) by clicking on the "discussion" tab, then clicking edit. Just type, don't sweat the formatting. If you really want to get fancy, click help on the nav bar at left.
Note, you don't need to register as a user, but check out the site, and if you can see the value, I'd love it if you came on board! --CurtB 22:42, 11 February 2007 (PST)
The photo above converted to text:
- Local + International
- Internet is a Tool... and a Challenge
- Things are different!
- Glut (of information)
- Language (gaps)
- Education level
- (we could really use some) Databases
- Local trust / contact (is critical to successful / effective projects)
- Concrete? Disappear (that is, when the discussion gets concrete, people evaporate)
- Alternative economic models: "Freebay"
- high tech risks losing the human touch.
- As much as technology is helpful, we need to be sure to maintain the human connection; something the developing world may only know.
- Next steps
- Consolidate ideas
- Strengthen connections
- Connect with other Idealist "BOFs" ("Birds of a Feather")
- meet again
- Those present