The Owner's Manifesto on Makezine.com states:
If you can't open it, you don't own it: a Maker's Bill of Rights to accessible, extensive, and repairable hardware.
The manifesto then lists The Maker's Bill of Rights, including:
- "Meaningful and specific parts lists shall be included"
- "Cases shall be easy to open," "Special tools are allowed only for darn good reasons"
- "Components, not entire sub-assemblies, shall be replaceable"
- "Consumables, like fuses and filters, shall be easy to access"
- "Circuit boards shall be commented" and
- "Ease of repair shall be a design ideal, not an afterthought"