Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Open Source Photogrammetry
Photogrammetry is the science of making measurements from photos.
- it allows exact positions of surface points
- which enables one to make point clouds in 3D space
- thus a group of photographs can be turned into a 3D model for open source 3D printing on a RepRap
Best FOSS way to do it:
- Autodesk's 123D Catch is the most mature commercial software it is free but not OS and is cloud based.
- There is also Microsofts Photosynth - -which you must output point cloud and then clean up with Meshlab and [Visual SFM], which is free for noncommercial use but not OS. Only limited by your computer power, unlimited photos. Clean up with the open source Meshlab.
- Python Photogrammetry Toolbox — Python scripts that automates Bundler and CMVS/PMVS, fronted by an open source GUI. Arc-Team’s tutorial.
- ArcheOS — OS built Debian Squeeze to connect open photogrammetry and 3D modeling programs without the hassle of installing all the dependencies.
- COLMAP