In the Bible Mark 13:30-34 reads:
- "....Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. But of that day or that hour knoweth no one, not even the angels in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. It is as when a man, sojourning in another country, having left his house, and given authority to his servants, to each one his work, commanded also the porter to watch. Watch therefore: for ye know not when the lord of the house cometh, whether at even, or at midnight, or at cockcrowing, or in the morning; lest coming suddenly he find you sleeping. And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." 
It may have been based on this passage that faith based enviromentalism first developed since if the earth is Christ's house then it stands to reason that he would prefer upon his return to find that it has been well kept.
The National Council of Churches (founded in 1950) has long voiced it's support for peace, justice, and its support of environmental protection.
Its members include the:
- The United Methodist Church
- African Methodist Episcopal Church
- The African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
- Alliance of Baptists
- American Baptist Churches USA
- Diocese of the Armenian Church of America
- Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
- Christian Methodist Episcopal Church
- Church of the Brethren
- The Coptic Orthodox Church in North America
- The Episcopal Church in the United States of America
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Friends United Meeting
- Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
- Hungarian Reformed Church in America
- International Council of Community Churches
- Korean Presbyterian Church in America
- Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church
- Mar Thoma Church
- Moravian Church in America Northern Province and Southern Province
- National Baptist Convention of America
- National Baptist Convention, USA, Inc.
- National Missionary Baptist Convention of America
- Orthodox Church in America
- Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in the USA
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Polish National Catholic Church of America
- Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
- Progressive National Baptist Convention, Inc.
- Reformed Church in America
- Serbian Orthodox Church in the U.S.A. and Canada
- The Swedenborgian Church of North America
- Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America
- United Church of Christ
- The Northland Church, in Longwood, FL could be considered a Green Church since it is lead by Rev. Joel Hunter.
More recently the number of Christians that admit that unnatural global warming is taking place has reached the level that infamous conservative Christian Pat Robertson has jumped on the band wagon explaining I'm "A Convert" On Global Warming, "It Is Getting Hotter"
The National Association of Evangelicals while not a Church is now championing environmental protectionism