Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Appropedia:Ekopedia partnership - issues to address
| Ekopedia and Appropedia |
|MOU (draft) (talk)|
|Issues to address|
|Rapprochement (en & fr)|
|Interwiki collaboration month|
|About Ekopedia (please link)|
The key issues to address appear to be:
- Clarify our group vision, mission and values
- Financial vision: Not yet discussed? Could impact the advertising discussion.
- Advertising: Jean-Luc is opposed; Lonny, Curt and Chris (Appropedia directors) would like to avoid advertising, but leave this option open.
- Name: We appear to have at least partial progress here, but need to narrow it down further. One possibility on the table is a new name - alternative domain names to be discussed privately (by email) but suggestions welcomed (e.g. send to infoappropediaorg). See also Appropedia:Meaning of the name Appropedia.
- Vision and mission: I think that we should define a group vision, mission and values. --jlhenry 21:44, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
Licensing- Solved! We are now compatible.
- Name. Ekopedia, Appropedia, or something else?
- Ekopedia is clear, but doesn't quite capture the range we cover. People may think they've understood it (yet another green info site) when they haven't. This can be overcome by conveying our vision and mission effectively.
- Appropedia describes our scope well. It is less memorable, people often have trouble catching it ("Appropopedia?"), and it may help continue the common misconception that it's just an "appropriate technology wiki" (which is just a part of the story). All of these can also be overcome by conveying our vision and mission effectively.
- Other name, something catchy, that doesn't create a perception of a limited range, and if possible captures the broad scope of what we do. Suggestions?
- I would prefer to talk about domain names on a private page (by mail?). --jlhenry 18:43, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- I don't know if you started the private talk... I guess not... I anyway what to contribute to it by talking about Transition Towns and their wish to look at appropriate solution for after oil peak and climate change world... I mean I do feel there is similarities again... they might be a bit more concrete but would benefit from all our content... I see that they were contacted at some point? Would they be interested in collaborating? Should we include them in the merging process? It is harder to do all of it in once but probably more efficient than doing it twice... Olivier C 14:39, 31 January 2010 (UTC)
- Merge process:
- We have to create templates and categories to help content migration (what has been imported and what has not).
- Jean-Luc is completely opposed to advertising, on the basis that:
- Advertising encourages consumption, contradicting our message of reducing our environmental impact.
- It compromises our objectivity.
- The Appropedia Foundation has not taken such a strong position. We prefer to avoid advertising and rely on alternative sources of funding, but have considered the option of some kind of filtered, green advertising if needed.
- Technical architecture
- How can we merge our 2 different architectures:
- I would prefer merging on an architecture like Ekopedia's one --jlhenry 18:43, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- How can we import images:
- We should have the same files extensions allowed (I just tried to import our logo but you do not permit ".png".
- Here is our list: $wgFileExtensions = array( 'png', 'gif', 'jpg', 'jpeg', 'svg', 'ogg' ); --jlhenry 19:34, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- Ekopedia cost about $1000 a year (hosting + domains names). --jlhenry 18:43, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- We accept donations on Ekopedia: in 2008 we received about $500 but we haven't done any real financing campaign. --jlhenry 18:43, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
- I think that we need to share our vision on financing (as well as advertising). --jlhenry 18:43, 24 April 2009 (UTC)
Move French articles from Appropedia to Ekopedia.Done.
- Move English articles from Ekopedia to Appropedia. Chriswaterguy to do this.
- Clarify mission as discussed above.