Get the new Rainwater book at our Kickstarter for To Catch the Rain.
- 1 Welcome!
- 2 Mini libraries
- 3 Invite to Sustainable community action group
- 4 Adminship?
- 5 Welcome to Sustainable community action group
- 6 Africa news
- 7 Great photos!
- 8 Thanks for followup.
- 9 Herbs etc.
- 10 Rachel Carson info box
- 11 Spam terms
- 12 Front page news?
- 13 Great article!
- 14 Is this your manual? :)
- 15 Resource Index for Bioregions
- 16 Repurposing and upcycling
- 17 Spam!
- 18 Salvage of WP content
Check your preferences. It's a good idea to verify your email address and turn on email notification - then you'll be notified when you get a message on your talk page, or when any page on your watchlist, is modified. You may want to upload a photo or information about yourself to your userpage (which is at User:Ethan).
If you have a particular interest or project in mind, go ahead and start it! If you have questions or suggestions, the best place to leave them is at our community discussion page, which we call the Village pump - you should get a fast response. Or, feel free to leave me a note on my talk page if you have further questions, need help finding your way around, have a cool idea for a project, or just want to chat. If you just want to know how things work here, check out Appropedia:Policies and Appropedia:FAQ. We're a relaxed and friendly bunch though, and you can also just pick things up as you go.
Glad to have you here!
Hi Ethan, (nice to internet-meet you too),
I just saw your article mini library and put a link to it from sca's Sharing article. Yes, it fits in well with the SCA material. I'll think about a category, maybe 'Sharing'? Would you like it in the Sustainable community action topics category? If so I can send you an invite for Sustainable community action members (?) Thanks for nice comment. Philralph (talk) 09:36, 15 May 2015 (PDT)
Invite to Sustainable community action group
I've nominated you to be an admin.
Welcome to Sustainable community action group
Thanks for followup.
Hi Ethan, I try to potter around here but seem to have more good intentions than time... on checking my user input, I was surprised how long it has been. Yes, I like the herbs. The project you're doing sounds neat, I'd love the details but please don't be disappointed if I am not about all the time. I've a hope of working away at the herb category over time - guessing my sense of time is fairly malleable. :) Anyway, it's truly nice to meet you and thanks for clearing that spam. Cheers, Felicity
- Thanks for the link, Ethan. I'll see what's possible. I agree with you that Appropedia could be a great source of enduring info, it's a big part of the attraction for me too. Cheers. Felicity (talk) 17:05, 21 October 2015 (PDT)
- No worries. It's great to know you've been so productive! Thanks for doing that, it's so neat to have that content here as well. I'll just potter about with my fave topics when I have the time. Cheers. Felicity (talk) 21:19, 29 October 2015 (PDT)
Thanks for the categorisation Ethan, I am not terribly familiar with the categories despite looking over them (goldfish memory) and really appreciate you working out what should go where. :) F
Rachel Carson info box
Hi Ethan, There seems to be a problem with the info box here: http://www.appropedia.org/Rachel_Carson. It's really beyond me to work out what isn't working with it and for all I know, it looks odd on my browser and not someone else's. So, I hope I can leave this with you to check out. Ta, Felicity
- Thanks for following this up. It all looks good now. :) If I find anything in my travels around here, I'll let you know. Cheers, Felicity
Thanks for the fantastic work, in building the wiki and fighting spam.
If you happen to notice any patterns in spam page titles or phrases (things that are more likely to appear in a spam page than in a legitimate page) feel free to mention them. I can add them to our spam filter's scoring system. --Chriswaterguy (talk) 15:31, 16 November 2015 (PST)
- Replying to your reply: Thank you. I've updated the spam filter. I also had the idea of going through the deletion log, and added a bunch more from there. I tried not to make it too strict (people are unhappy when the spam filter blocks legitimate pages) but hopefully that will reduce the spam significantly.
- Thanks for the CAPTCHA idea - I've set a reminder for myself to ask about that after we get a new developer.
- I see you speak Deutsch - do you live in Germany? --Chriswaterguy (talk) 15:19, 21 November 2015 (PST)
Front page news?
Is this your manual? :)
Hi Ethan, It's great to see you about. Thanks for all your efforts on Conventional Farming and your other great additions. Just wanted to mention that I think maybe this: http://www.appropedia.org/Permaculture:_A_Designers'_Manual is what you're looking for? It seems the apostrophe placement made it harder to locate. Cheers. Felicity (talk) 19:24, 27 February 2016 (PST)
- Happy to have helped. Have been there, done that, will no doubt do it again. :) Felicity (talk) 21:54, 27 February 2016 (PST)
Resource Index for Bioregions
Repurposing and upcycling
Hi Ethan, I didn't find the upcycling category with a search and I wasn't bright enough to do a category: check. But that said, I do view repurposing as different from upcycling, so I wonder whether we should have either two categories or combine as I'd suggested? Have a look at this blog post: http://recreatedesigncompany.com/upcycle-vs-repurpose/, which I agree with in terms of the meanings. Also, since people might confuse both terms and look for either/or, maybe a joint category makes sense. Felicity (talk) 19:21, 25 August 2016 (PDT)
-- I think the simplest option would be a Repurposing category resident in Green living that doesn't cross purposes with materials reuse which is more focused on the engineering/bigger picture reuse than repurposing, which tends to be at the household sewing, craft and garage/craftroom tinkering level. I don't think it's going to hurt anything by having it as an additional category. I like the breadth of options available as I've written in the different areas and it works for me. But if it doesn't work for anyone else, that's fine too. Felicity (talk) 03:44, 29 August 2016 (PDT)
Thank you for all your awesome work and also your help on spam abatement. Just a quick update that we have now modernized our captchas and hope that (a) this will make user experiences better (it seems spammers had an easier time than members!), and (b) this will prevent more spam than our previous system (google rates our new method as much higher protection).
Salvage of WP content
Hey. I'm a basic user on Wikipedia so can't view pages once they are deleted usually (unless the page is turned into a redirect leaving an edit history for example), but I will try to drop in on XfD regularly and keep an eye out for anything that might be salvageable for appropedia. Moribund (talk) 08:40, 4 March 2017 (PST)