|I am Lonny, the founder of Appropedia.org, feel free to ask me a question.|
 Campus Office Information
 Office Schedule
 Courses taught
- Engineering 114: Whole Earth Engineering
- Engineering 114: Whole Earth Engineering for the Desert
- Engineering 114: Whole Earth Engineering in Southern Mexico
- Engineering 210: Solid Mechanics Statics
- Engineering 215: Introduction to Design
- Engineering 280: Environmental Issues in Parras
- Engineering 280: Environmental Issues in Southern Mexico
- Engineering 280: Directed Study in Parras
- Engineering 280: Directed Study in Chiapas
- Engineering 305: Appropriate Technology
- Engineering 305: Appropriate Technology in the Desert
- Engineering 305: Appropriate Technology in Southern Mexico
- Engineering 305: Appropriate Technology in Dominican Republic
- Engineering 308: Technology and the Environment
- Engineering 370: Energy, Technology and Society
- Engineering 371: Energy Systems and Technology
- Engineering 480: Appropriate Technology Projects in Chiapas
- Engineering 480: Appropriate Technology Projects in Parras
- Engineering 480: Special topics in Dominican Republic
- Engineering 499: Upper Division Directed Study
University of Nevada Reno in partnership with the University of the Basque Country:
Humboldt County in partnership with College of the Redwoods and the California Conservation Corps:
Lonny Grafman is an Instructor of Environmental Resources Engineering and Appropriate Technology at Humboldt State University; the founder of the Practivistas summer abroad, full immersion, Spanish language and resilient community technology program in Dominican Republic; the Advisor for the epi-apocalyptic city art projects, Waterpod, Flock House, and WetLand; the Executive Editor of the International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering; the CEO of Propelsion, a design and creativity incubator in Humboldt County; and the Founder and President of the Appropedia Foundation, sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives. He is also a board member of engaged community organizations such as Locally Delicious, Thrivable, and Ashevillage Institute.
Lonny has taught courses at universities in four countries and facilitated interactive workshops in dozens of locations. He has worked, and led teams, on hundreds of domestic and international projects across a broad spectrum of sustainability - from solar power to improved cookstoves, from micro-hydro power to rainwater catchment, from earthen construction to plastic bottle schoolrooms. Throughout all of these technology implementations, he has found the most vital component to be community.
 Current Activities
International Journal for Service Learning in Engineering
- Executive Editor
"a free peer-reviewed electronic journal. The Journal welcomes manuscripts based on original work of students and researchers with a specific focus or implication for service learning in engineering, engineering entrepreneurship in service, or related service learning pedagogy."
 Appropedia Foundation
Promoting, facilitating and bolstering the sharing of knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.
 Design Your Future
- Co-Creator with Prof. Beth Eschenbach
Teaching university, service learning based, sustainable engineering design in high school to engage students in the design process and encourage their entry into higher education. Developing sustainable design as context for curriculum.
 Abroad Programs
- Founder, director, teacher
A summer immersion program in Spanish and Appropriate Technology since 2005. Founded, directed and taught, as well as co-founded and co-directed, programs in Parras de la Fuente, Mexico; San Cristóbal de las Casas, Mexico; and Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
 Campus Center for Appropriate Technology
- Steering Committee member
"The mission of CCAT is to demonstrate appropriate technology in a residential setting, to provide hands-on experiential learning opportunities to Humboldt State University and the surrounding community, to collect and disseminate information about appropriate technology, to examine the ethical and social consequences of technology, and to dispel the myth that living lightly on the earth is difficult or burdensome. CCAT is dedicated to sustainability and seeks to help others live likewise."
 Green Wheels
- Advisory board member
"We're making the North Coast friendly for walking, biking and mass transit, to reduce carbon emissions, sprawl, and congestion, and make a stronger economy and improve health."
 Humboldt Bay Center for Sustainable Living
- Board of Directors
Constructing "a lodging facility, the Humboldt Bay Eco-Hostel, and Sustainable Living Center where visitors can experience the ease and beauty of environmentally sustainable living.
The Center will serve as a portal for visitors to access the natural and heritage assets of our region. The Project will be an inspiration to thousands of new visitors to the Northcoast. These visitors will include both those who stay at the Hostel and those who lodge at other establishments but visit the hostel site and grounds. Expenditures on lodging, meals and other goods and services will make a significant contribution to the well being of the local economy."
 Full Belly Project
- Board of Advisors
"The Full Belly Project, a non-profit dedicated to developing simple income generating devices to improve life for the world’s poorest, was today named a 2008 Tech Awards Laureate, The Full Belly Project is one of 25 global innovators recognized each year for applying technology to benefit humanity and spark global change. The Tech Awards, a signature program of The Tech Museum of Innovation, and presented by Applied Materials, Inc., selected The Full Belly Project from among hundreds of nominations representing 68 countries."
- Sustainability and Appropriate Technology Advisor, Volunteer Coordinator
"Waterpod™ is a floating, sculptural, eco-habitat designed for the rising tides. It will depart May 2009, from the Newtown Creek between Brooklyn and Queens, navigate down the East River, explore the waters of New York Harbor, docking at several Manhattan piers on the Hudson River before continuing onward. The Waterpod™ demonstrates future pathways for water-based innovations. As a sustainable, navigable living space, the Waterpod™ showcases the critical importance of the environment and art, serving as a model for new living, d.i.y. technologies, art, and dialogue."
 Flock House
- Sustainability Advisor
"Part fantastic and part practical living, mobile Flock House living systems are interstertial, are both autonomous and dependent on their local community and human relationships to care for, share amongst, collaborate, and corroborate with. As living systems, they are bridges for informal cross-discipline, cross-boundary, and cross-border notions of perimeter, property, and polity. Flock House represents migratory structures as part of a city’s ecology."
"Thrivable is a solution-focused consulting and training network helping individuals and organizations to cultivate abundance by developing agility, resilience, and adaptability."
 Locally Delicious
- Board of Advisors
"Six women from the northern coast of California referring to themselves as "Heirloom Tomatoes" understand those changes and challenges and have put together a handbook for eating local with the intent of inspiring others to do the same." Now it is an organization doing even more. The second edition of the book is out and more projects are underway.
 Select Projects
• Year: Role
• 2010: Advisor and Volunteer Coordinator
• 2012: Advisor and Resident
• 2011-2012: Founder and Director
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
Asheville Wise Water
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
• Year: Role
 Other Recent, Active, Organizational Work
- Locally Delicious
- Humboldt PlanItGreen
- Open Sustainability Network Camp- San Francisco
- Open Sustainability Network - Mid Missouri
- YUCAN - San Francisco
- Tofu Shop Specialty Foods, Inc.
- Community Created Humboldt
- Global Summit
- Beneficial Tea Company
 Select Recent Presentations
- Flock House and a Dominican Schoolroom: Local Resources for Building Resilient Homes, Schoolrooms, and Communities (Poe Park, Bronx, New York) 
- First Annual Sustainable Building Conference 2012 (Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic)  
- Otros Mundos Appropriate Technologies (Spanish) August 3, 2010 (San Cristobal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico)
- Resident Artist in the Flock House (June 23-24, 2010) (Brooklyn, New York, USA)
- Appropedia and Students 2010 (A few Universities including at Universidad del País Vasco, Spain)
- Energy Education Boxes May 2010 (Arcata, CA, USA)
- Community Created Humboldt/Jan 23 10 (Arcata, CA, USA)
- Open Sustainability Humboldt/Veterans Day 2009 (Eureka, CA, USA)
- Open Sustainability Network - Mid Missouri 2009 (Columbia, Missouri, USA)
- Brighter Lights, Better Living Expo 2009 (Portland, Oregon, USA)
- International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Poetry, Poetics and Travel Literature on Deserts of the World 2008 (Parras, Mexico)
- OSNCamp 2008 (San Francisco, CA, USA)
- IPIDAT 2008 (Zaragosa, Spain), 2009 (Indian Point, Maine, USA)
- SLAM Fest 2008 (Arcata, CA, USA)
- NCIIA 2008 (Houston, Texas, USA)
Select slide-shows can be seen at http://www.slideshare.net/lonny.
 Select Interviews and Mentions
- Artist Lives in Futuristic Pod for Flock House Project
- Inhabitat Interview - Sustainability Advisor Lonny Grafman on the Waterpod
- Nature Magazine - A floating island of sustainability
- Savoring Optimism Interview - Interview with Lonny Grafman
- The Journal - Water World
- Quoted in The Journal - Locally Delicious
- Humboldt Magazine - Plastic Bags
- Humboldt Magazine - Appropedia
- Humboldt Now - Dominican Republic
- Humboldt Now - Bike blender
- The Flock House and Dominicana Project
- Media Squat with Douglas Rushkoff - Lonny Grafman and the Yes Men, or directly streaming (starts around 5:30)
- Declare Your Independence with Ernest Hancock Interview - Lonny Grafman
- Greenway’s David Narum and Kirk Cohune interview - Lonny Grafman
- Episode #25: Appropedia Roundtable Part I
- Agroinnovations Podcast: Appropedia Roundtable Part II
- Short video from the Flock House
- Live-streamed video interview from the Flock House
- Epicenter: Engineering is Innovation
- Diseño sostenible ambiental: Lonny Grafman en UNIBE (1/2)
- InGenius: A Crash Course on Creativity by Tina Seelig ISBN 978-0062020703
- Thrivability: A collaborative Sketch
- The Myths of Creativity: The Truth About How Innovative Companies and People Generate Great Ideas ISBN 978-1118611142
Changes to community discussions & key policy pages