Projects with Bart
Bart is currently on sabbatical and Appropriate Technology Vision Quest in the forests of southern Oregon. Students seeking project consultations may reach him by pilgrimage (or email at email@example.com). A.T.V.Q. Progress Update: The Earthen Solar Cooker , The Parabolic Wheel Of Revolution!  and The Stadium Light Reflector Wash-Basin/WaterHeater 
FOR HSU STUDENTS ENROLLED IN APPROPRIATE TECHNOLOGY-ENGINEERING 305 SPRING SEMESTER 2013, OTHER ENGINEERING AND ART COURSES INCLUDING INDEPENDENT UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH PROGRAMS WITH CONSCENT OF THE INSTRUCTOR. EACH STUDENT'S CLASS PROJECT CAN BE DOVETAILED TO THEIR CURRICULUM, SKILL LEVEL AND TECHNICAL TRAINING. COLLEGE OF THE REDWOODS STUDENTS ARE INVITED TO PARTICIPATE.
 Greetings From Bart Orlando
- For the last 19 years I have volunteered as a teaching assistant, tutor and mentor for engineering students who choose to work on their class project with me. Together, we build educational appropriate technology displays which are demonstrated at renewable energy fairs, farmer's markets, at CCAT and at local schools. I share my project visions when I come to address your class early in the semester. We work together on new projects or continue work on a past project with repairs or improvements. I ask that in your project web page write up you mention that I offered up the project vision and provided consultation and/or hands on instruction. You will receive academic credit from your class instructor for assisting me in bringing one of these project visions to fruition. Students who assist me with the design and building of a project may display our work on the project at an event. Each participant brings special skills and areas of interest: computer assisted diagrams, the arts, writing, machine skills, networking, ceramics, building web sites, cooking, bike building, networking and organizing which can used to help FURTHUR a project.
- The students who work with me shoulder the cost of materials needed for fabrication of the display. SO, the nature of the project is determined by each student's skill level, their budget and ability to obtain donations of materials needed. Some projects are funded by appropriate technology education centers for whom they are commissioned. I encourage the use of surplus and used, second hand materials found in scrap yards , thrift shops and recycling centers when possible.
- Workspace will be a necessity. A garage or similar setting that has electricity, running water, a restroom and a large door.
 FEATURED PROJECTS FOR FALL 2012
- Earthen Solar Cookers
- WORKING WITH BART ON REFURBISHING THE CCAT PEDAL POWERED BLENDER (A 1996 PROJECT)
- SCULPTING GIANT SNOW PARABOLOIDS (immediately following winter's last snow storm)
- CASTING PARABOLOID ICE SCULPTURES (spin frozen for making fire from ice)
- PARABOLIC WHEEL SHIELDS (mobility, shelter, solar cooking, pasteurization, telecom.)
- PARABOLIC SOLAR COOKING RAINBOW UMBRELLA(S) (rainbow umbrellas sold at HSU bookstore)
- PAPASAN CHAIR PARABOLIC SOLAR COOKER(S)
- PREPARING FOR A.T. DEMONSTRATIONS AT THE 2012 Oregon Country Fair
- HAITI EARTHQUAKE ASSISTANCE PROJECT
 What else might our projects be about?
- Designing fun, imaginative ways to address critical environmental issues while striving to alleviate human suffering by meeting urgent needs ..... using appropriate technology
Dedicate A Project To Help Survivors Of Haiti's Earthquake
- This project should begin now to be ready for shipment ASAP
- Check out our Haiti Earthquake Assistance Project Appropedia Web Page
Design And Build An Alternative Shelter
- Fabricate and/or Assemble a 16' or 24' geodesic dome frame and cover
Assist With Solar Cooking Projects
- Assist with setting up and demonstrating the solar cooking display at the Arcata Farmers' Market
- Cut Mylar facets for umbrella and papasan chair
- Arcata Solar Cooking Club Organizing
- Approdedia Web page for stadium light solar cookers
- R^2 and graphical analysis of parabolic reflector profiles
- 8 satellite dish solar cooker (design the hot air popcorn popper)
- Assist with solar cooking for a public soup line
- FEATURING: SOL FOOD - A RAY OF HOPE FOR THOSE WHO WOULD GO HUNGRY
- AND - LET THEM EAT CAKE - (offering vegan desert cakes boldly baked with an array umbrella solar covens)
Help with pedal power projects:
- CCAT mechanical blender refurbishment
- Vibracycle electrical rewiring and upgrade
- Pedal powered washing machine re-gearing
- Improvements on Bart's Bike
- bike trailers
SOLAR COOKER PROJECTS:
- Umbrella Solar Cooker
- Solar Thermal Hot Air Popcorn Popper
- Papasan Chair Solar Cooker
- Lamp Shade Solar Cooker
- Converting an 8 ft satellite dish into a solar cooker
- Design, assemble and test a convection proof HotPot
- Design stainless steel paraboloids
- Design a multi-function survival umbrella
- Design emergency inflatable paraboloids
- Design the solar thermal popcorn cannon
- Arcata plaza car-free zone with rotating concert stage illustrations
- Design the solar thermal pasteurizing water fountain
- Create ice paraboloids by freezing spinning containers of water.
- Bamboo-Tinker Toy Parabolic Solar Cookers
NON-VIOLENT PEST CONTROL PROJECTS:
- Make home insect nets(alternative flyswatters), some of which will be sent as samples to the Office of the Tibetan Government in Exile (in India)where the Dali Lama and his staff work and reside.
- Design and Build a rat powered radio/battery charger which conditions the rodent to run on a tread wheel connected to a generator thus fostering a new ethic of inter-species cooperation.
 Consultations & Donations
- I like the old fashion tradition of students bringing the teacher an apple, both as a sign of gratitude and respect as well as providing needed sustenance. Each student working on a class project with me may offer a vegan food item at each meeting.
- Those students seeking private consultation with me are requested to ask their first question(s).... over lunch.
- Those wishing to help resupply needed items may choose from the following lists:
- Organic Food Ingredients for Solar Cooking and Pedal Powered Blender Demonstrations - canola oil, popcorn, sea salt, tamari, nutritional yeast, bread, cake flour, vanilla, tortillas, oatmeal, sugar, black beans, brown rice, potatoes and veggies etc.
- Citrisolve, mineral oil, safety sun glasses, Nature's Gate sunblock, Mylar mirror rolls,work gloves and paper towls made from recycled paper.
- Workshop space, storage space, land space
- Equipment: A foot operated stomp shear for cutting sheet metal mirror, a Miller120 welder, a plasma-cutter
- Mirror finished aluminum or stainless steel sheet metal for use in fabricating parabolic solar cookers. Needed This Semester!
- Bart Orlando
 Past Projects
- Aleiha's parabolic solar cooker
- The Cobb Parabolic Solar Cooker
- Megan's bamboo umbrella solar cooker project
- The Sunbrella-umbrella solar cooker
- The Papasan Chair Solar Cooker
- The Parabolic basket and tin can solar cooker
- The 8' diameter satellite dish solar cooker/popcorn popper
- Bicycle Trailer Fabrication
- CCAT pedal powered TV
- Pedal Powered Innovations by Bart Orlando
- CCAT Photos 1993-2003 by Bart Orlando Thank you K.J.
- Parabolic Solar Cooking
- Stadium Light Solar Cookers
- Oregon Country Fair - Energy Park - Wheels of Revolution Press Press Coverage 
- Inappropriate Technology?
- Video of parabolic Solar Cooking demonstration at the Arcata Coop in 2007
- How to build a paraboloid Generate the diagram needed to build a paraboloid from a flat sheet given the distance from the vertex to the focus.