The Parabolic Wheel of Revolution!
by Bart Orlando
Imagine .... one shape that is capable of providing the basic requirements for those preparing to live a self sufficient, sustainable life style; and also capable sustaining the lives of people caught up in natural disasters, fleeing ethnic cleansing, forced migrations, civil wars, and revolution; a shape that is able to function as each of the essential components of a refugee cart including all terrain cart wheels, the cart bed and secure cover top; as well as a rolling shield, a satellite telecommunications dish and Internet up-link, a parabolic lens capable of igniting wood kindling in 1 second, a high temperature solar cooker, able to thermally pasteurize 6 gallons of drinking water at 160f or boil four gallons of water in one hour, an emergency flood light reflector or signal beacon, a shelter roof capable of supporting a heavy snow fall, an IR reflective ceiling, a (cushioned) papasan shaped lounge or bed, a rain water catchment, a cold plunge, a hot tub .... in short, an all in one - next generation - rapid aid deployment package, stacked as nested bowls on parachuted pallets airdropped from C-17s to fleeing refugees.... within 48 hours. (A more efficient delivery system would require engineers to design and build ultra quiet all electric solar powered lenticular airship/cargolifters the size of the Super Dome, able to transport as much aid-cargo as a small freighter but at speeds approaching 250mph, shade and shelter refugee migrating columns and refugee camps from sun and precipitation, generate 50,000 watts of electrical power from its amorphous photovoltaic envelope - enough for supplying power for emergency services and a benefit concert stage sound system.)
- Andrews 2m solid aluminum dish model - PAR6-65-P7A (I need more of these.)
- axle:7/8 inch steel bar stock(recommend upgrade to a non rusting metal that will not fatigue and crack like stainless steel)
- alxe hub:7/8 i.d. bronze bushing centered and pressed into a receiving collar bolted to an aluminum plate which is bolted to the dish vertex.
- 3/4 inch conduit struts supports bolted to a gimbaled steel bike rim laced with a steel wire from hangers configured to form a basket that positions a pot or pan slightly off focus, (3 inches below the actual focal point), to distribute concentrated sunlight evenly across the bottom cooking surfaces and prevent thermally induced structional damage. The energy density at the focal point is capable of buckling stainless steel sheet metal, cracking cast iron and melting aluminum.
 Note To HSU Engineering-305 Students
HSU students who are enrolled in Appropriate Technology Engineering-305, wishing to work on this project for class credit might want to work on furthering one of the following design improvements:
- Design and fabricate a collared fork assembly which positions the bike wheel pot support in a similar gimbaled fashsion but which permits the pot to be self righting using a counter weight as the dish is oriented toward the correct azimuth of the sun by rolling along a cirrcular path while pivoting about the point where the axle/support stand rests on the ground. The collar would slip fit onto the portion of the axle the protrudes through the hub to the concave side of the dish. This would free up the space where the conduit struts of the pot support now span the diameter of the dish at the rim plane.
- Assembling an antenna mount and demonstrating the ability make an internet uplink
- Procurring one or more Andrews PAR6-65-P7A satellite dishes with which to begin the assembly of the first prototype for the refugee cart based on this design concept. Look for the distinctive red lightning bolt decal on the concave surface.
- Redesign the axle hub assembly to hold water when the dish is used as a rainwater catchment, cold plunge and hot tub
 Special Thanks To
- Bonnie at Arcata Scrap and Salvage for the Andrews satellite dish
- Curt at the Arcata Electric Motor Repair Shop - for fabrication of the axle assembly
- Nathan at Cantinawest - for the mirror finished adheasive vinyl
- Dave Gage - for these words of wisdom conveyed to me during a chance incounter on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk in 1984 saying, "It's all about integration!"
 Contact Info