Category:Practivistas Dominicana Program
Practivistas Dominicana - Student Projects
This category is for Humboldt State University's summer immersion in Appropriate Technology and Spanish taking place in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. We are a group of U.S. and Dominican students working together with various community members to co-create sustainable solutions. You can see more program details or see projects from past summers at HSU Chiapas and HSU Parras.
In the summer of 2011, students studied appropriate technology and Spanish while working with community members of La Yuca to build a schoolroom from plastic bottles and concrete, lit with solar and homemade wind power from bike parts and newspaper press waste, that catches its own rainwater for cleaning and drinking.
In the summer of 2012, students returned to Santo Domingo to continue our learning and community collaboration. Students worked with community members of La Yuca to make the renewable energy system from bike parts and newspaper press waste more hurricane safe and durable, and to make the rainwater catchment more potable and tested. In addition, students worked in Las Malvinas II to build a classroom from plastic bottles, concrete, sawdust, papercrete and industrial wood waste for 25 young students.
In the summer of 2013, students returned again to Santo Domingo. Students and community members worked together to design and construct:
- Rainwater catchment for all the water needs of an urban school (La Yuca rainwater catchment 2013) and a rural community center (Las Malvinas rainwater catchment system).
- Solar power for lighting an urban schoolroom (La Yuca) and an off-grid stray animal shelter (Ghetto2Garden solar power).
- Natural plaster from clay, sand and flour, and other improvements to an urban schoolroom we built from plastic bottles in 2011 (La Yuca schoolroom renovation).
- A rural public pharmacy (Las Malvinas) made from plastic bottles (Las Malvinas botica popular ecoladrillo 2013) and blocks made of rice husks, rice husk ash, lime, cement, and sand (Las Malvinas botica popular hullkrete 2013).
In 2014, we continued working with the communities of La Yuca and Las Malvinas in addition to a new partner community Arroyo Norte. Together, the following projects were designed and constructed:
- Prototypes for a sustainably constructed market using materials from a city landfill located near the community (Arroyo Norte sustainable market materials)
- Rainwater catchment system for the previous year's botica popular (Las Malvinas Rainwater 2014), a feasibility study for a large-scale rainwater catchment system (Las Malvinas Feasibility 2014), and an update for the rainwater system on the schoolroom (La Yuca rainwater 2014)
- A bamboo and billboard shade structure for a community center (Las Malvinas community center shade)
- Fiber-crete block prototypes (Hullkrete and fiber-crete)
- A design and foundation for a community police station (Las Malvinas destacamento)
- Solar power system for an animal shelter (Ghetto2Garden renewable energy 2014) and an updated solar system for the schoolroom (La Yuca renewable energy 2014)
Some past press:
- TreeHugger article on the 2012 projects
- Spanish article from UNIBE
- Spanish article from Gikplus
- Article in Humboldt Now
- InHabitat article on the Ghetto2Garden renewable energy system
This program is open to all skill levels, but does require some ability to do manual work and move around. Expect to work hard, learn a bunch, build lasting projects and friendships. See Practivistas Dominicana Program invitation for more.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category "Practivistas Dominicana Program"
The following 82 pages are in this category, out of 82 total.
- La Yuca ecoladrillo schoolroom 2011
- La Yuca Energia Renovable a Pequeña Escala
- La Yuca rainwater 2014
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2011
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2012
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2013
- La Yuca rainwater catchment 2013/Literature Review
- La Yuca renewable energy 2014
- La Yuca schoolroom renovation
- La Yuca schoolroom renovation/Literature Review
- La Yuca small scale renewable energy 2011
- La Yuca small scale renewable energy 2012
- Las Malvinas Botica Popular 2015
- Las Malvinas Botica Popular 2015/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas botica popular ecoladrillo 2013
- Las Malvinas botica popular fiber-crete 2013/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas botica popular hullkrete 2013
- Las Malvinas community center shade
- Las Malvinas destacamento
- Las Malvinas ecoladrillo schoolroom
- Las Malvinas ecoladrillo schoolroom 2012/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas ecoladrillo schoolroom 2012/Timeline
- Las Malvinas hullkrete 2015
- Las Malvinas hullkrete 2015/Literature Review
- Las Malvinas photovoltaic workshops
- Las Malvinas rainwater 2014
- Las Malvinas rainwater catchment system
- Las Malvinas rainwater feasibility study 2014
- Practivistas Dominicana Program invitation
- Template:Practivistas Dominicana student projects header
- Practivistas Dominicana/Application
- Practivistas Dominicana/AT Gallery
- Practivistas Dominicana/handbook
- Practivistas Dominicana/How to deal with food culture shock
- Practivistas Dominicana/HW
- Practivistas Dominicana/literature review template
- Practivistas Dominicana/Page template and criteria
- Practivistas Dominicana/vocabulary
- Practivistas Dominicana/what to bring
- Practivistas projects
- Practivistas rainwater 2014/Literature Review
- Practivistas solar 2015