Appropedia needs your support - Please Donate Today
General Design Procedures for Airport-Based Solar Photovoltaic Systems
| By Michigan Tech's Open Sustainability Technology Lab.
Wanted: Students to make a distributed future with solar-powered open-source 3-D printing.
Pearce Publications By Topic: Energy Conservation • Energy Policy • Industrial Symbiosis • Life Cycle Analysis • Materials Science • Open Source • Photovoltaic Systems • Solar Cells • Sustainable Development • Sustainability Education
- Anurag Anurag, Jiemin Zhang, Jephias Gwamuri and Joshua M. Pearce. General Design Procedures for Airport-Based Solar Photovoltaic Systems. Energies 2017, 10(8), 1194; doi:10.3390/en10081194 open access
A source of large surface areas for solar photovoltaic (PV) farms that has been largely overlooked in the 13,000 United States of America (U.S.) airports. This paper hopes to enable PV deployments in most airports by providing an approach to overcome the three primary challenges identified by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA): (1) reflectivity and glare; (2) radar interference; and (3) physical penetration of airspace. First, these challenges and precautions that must be adhered to for safe PV projects deployment at airports are reviewed and summarized. Since one of the core concerns for PV and airport symbiosis is solar panel reflectivity, and because this data is largely estimated, a controlled experiment is conducted to determine worst-case values of front panel surface reflectivity and compare them to theoretical calculations. Then a general approach to implement solar PV systems in an airport is outlined and this approach is applied to a case study airport. The available land was found to be over 570 acres, which would generate more than 39,000% of the actual annual power demand of the existing airport. The results are discussed while considering the scaling potential of airport-based PV systems throughout the U.S.
airport; photovoltaic; solar energy; glare; Federal Aviation Administration; economics; Solar farm
- Dual use of land for PV farms and agriculture literature review
- Technical Solar Photovoltaic Potential of Scaled Parking Lot Canopies- A Case Study of Walmart U.S.A.
- Aquavoltaics: Synergies for dual use of water area for solar photovoltaic electricity generation and aquaculture
- The potential of agrivoltaic systems
- Agrivoltaic potential on grape farms in India
- An open source simulation of photovoltaic yield with r.sun over large regions
- Dutch Will Use Wind Power to Green Airports, But Solar is the Future Elsewhere