Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Difference between revisions of "User:Nrc190"
|Line 58:||Line 58:|
Latest revision as of 00:52, 18 May 2015
- 1 About Me
- 2 Major
- 3 Interests in Appropriate Technology
- 4 Other Fun Fact about Me
- 5 Experience in Appropriate Technology
I served as the College of Natural Resources and Sciences Associated Student Representative at Humboldt State University 2013-2014 where I also worked for the Sustainability department at Plant Operations. I graduated Hemet High School in 2003 where I ran Track & Field, and X-country. I attended Columbia College CA, where I eventually completed my A.A. in 2009... I took the non-traditional route through college taking several years off living in San Diego for a short span then moving to Lake Tahoe where I worked in the ski industry. When I returned to college I had to work full-time and take two classes a semester. When I attended Humboldt I was a full-time student and worked only part time for the Sustainability Department as a student assistant. I choose to attend Humboldt State because they offered a great environmental science program and it is near the ocean. I enjoy the beach where I collect rocks, driftwood, and sea shells to bring back to my family in the mountains. I believe in protecting the environment not only for our children but for all life. I hope to help in a field where I get to participate in protecting the environment while working outside as much as possible.
- BS in Environmental Science, Energy and Climate option from Humboldt State University Arcata California. May 2015
Interests in Appropriate Technology
- Renewable Energy, mainly power generated by waves. http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/technology/hydro/wave-power/
- Composting food waste for cooking and heating fuel. http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/11/20/2938021/anaerobic-digesters-food-waste/
- Portable Solar technology. http://cleantechnica.com/2013/11/04/us-marines-test-portable-solar-power-vest/
Other Fun Fact about Me
I love snowboarding, I taught it for several years but injured myself one two many times. So I decided to go back to school and get a degree and limit the snowboarding to a few times a season. I completed my basic Scuba certification in May 2015 and plan on going diving as much as I can afford to. I also throw a disc around sometimes at metals baskets and enjoy swimming.
I have a dog named Temperance that is 85 lbs. who is currently living with my parents with 4 other dogs, 3 cats, and a couple of bunnies. My first pet as an 'adult' was Merlin, a small 13 lbs. rescued dog that I adopted in San Diego County when he was about 10 yrs old. He was a good dog but did bite a lot. I have several houseplants and a beta fish named Tel'c.
All my appliances are energy star rated and I turn my power strips off when ever they are not in use. I ride my bicycle as much as possible and do my best to support local economies with my 'very small' purchasing power. I am not into yoga, but I do believe in eating healthy unprocessed food, but that is sometimes hard to do. I am not a big shopper and try to only buy what I need, not what I want, which is easy when I have limited disposable income.
Experience in Appropriate Technology
Environmental Department: Squaw Valley CA.
- Erosion Control
- Invasive plant removal
- Slope/plant Restoration
Sustainability Department: Humboldt State University CA.
- General Waste Management/Waste Diversion
- Bike repair
- Sewing and patch work
- Thrift Store Shopping
- Forest Management
- Natural Conservation
- Environmental Policy
- Geography:World Perspectives
- Engineering: Appropriate Technology, current enrollment
- Energy: Society and Energy, current enrollment
- Engineering: Thermodynamics