Parras alternative materials gallery
Jump to navigation Jump to search
AltMat Bucket Retriever for Well
- Description: This is an example of all-natural and reused materials. It's a huge log with a reused bar stuck into it for a handle. It's used in a wind-pumped well to retrieve buckets of trash when it needs to be cleaned.
- Justification: This reduces waste by reusing materials, and is a better choice for the environment than synthetic or new materials.
- Issues: Depending on where the log came from, it could be contributing to deforestation.
- Location: Located on a Nogales orchard underneath one of the wind pumps on someone's property north of town.
- Description: This is an example of alternative materials. It's a fence made out of scrap wood instead of new lumber.
- Justification: This is appropriate becuase it is reusing local materials that were already lying around. It helps cut back on the use of new wood. It is also much more visually pleasing.
- Issues: Wood deteriorates over time, so the fence will have to be replaced sooner than if a stone wall or metal fence was used instead. Also, since each piece of wood is very unique, the strength at different places on the fence probably varies. However, since all the pieces of wood are fairly large, there may not be a problem with the fence being too weak at any given spot.
- Location: Located on the border of a Nogales orchard on someone's property north of town.
To add a new AT implementation to this resource, Copy and paste the following into notepad. Make the appropriate edits (replace allcap text) and then paste above the Instructions line in the edit window.
===NAME OF TECHNOLOGY=== ;Description :WHAT KIND OF AT IS IT? HOW IS IT USED? FOR WHAT? ;Location :WHERE IS IT LOCATED? ;Justification as Appropriate :WHY DO YOU CONSIDER IT AT, BASED ON A DEFINITION OF AT? ;Issues with the Appropriateness :IN WHAT WAYS DOES IT NOT MEET A DEFINITION OF AT. ;Notes :E.G. LINK TO THE ORGANIZATION OR PROJECT, DELETE IF NOT APPLICABLE. [[Image:YOURIMAGENAME.jpg]]