We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
User talk:Mike Dillon
Welcome from Chriswaterguy
Hi Mike - I was just commenting on some of the very interesting links you shared on Facebook, then discovered you're here. Great to have you!
Our standard welcome follows, but seems like you've wiki-savvy already. --Chriswaterguy 20:01, 15 April 2012 (PDT)
- Thanks for the welcome Chris! It's been a couple years since I've been active on any public wikis, but you're right that I've been around the block a few times. I spent a couple years editing Wikipedia extensively before moving on to Wiktionary and working there as an admin for another year or so.
- I'm really interested to see that you guys are using Semantic Mediawiki for this effort. It looks like you haven't started building out the property space yet, but I think that doing so will be of great value to the site. I don't have a lot of experience with SMW, but I've poked around a couple installations and it seems really nice. It also seems like the wiki side of Sophia Novack's "Open Source Permaculture" effort may be aligning with your effort too, which is awesome.
- Looking forward to seeing if there's some good work I can do here. Mike Dillon 07:13, 16 April 2012 (PDT)
- Take a look at A:Semantic MediaWiki #SMW applied on Appropedia - interested to hear your thoughts.
- You seem to have your finger on the pulse - yes, we've been discussing with Sophia Novack and planning collaboration. I think that has great potential.
- Cheers --Chriswaterguy 06:06, 17 April 2012 (PDT)
- Yeah, I found that page after I made my comments. When I first saw the medical device stuff under Special:Properties, I thought it was a test ontology. I didn't realize that that's where you guys had started out building the semantic content, but it makes sense if that data was seeded from a pre-structured data source like the Global Health Compendium in the first place.
- As for my knowledge of SMW, it's pretty limited. I've spent a lot of time on the Wikimedia wikis as an editor, admin, and bot operator, so I know my way around Mediawiki. My exposure to SMW mainly consists of some time spent on the Hackerspaces wiki. I found the Special:Properties page by going through Special:SpecialPages (here is the one from Hackerspaces ). I think I'm still in a good position to help, but it will be as much of a learning process for me as anyone. Mike Dillon 08:55, 17 April 2012 (PDT)