Simeon Richards[edit | edit source]
|This user is a member with an interest and knowledge of Open Source Hardware.|
|This user is a member with an interest and knowledge of 3-D printing.|
About Me[edit | edit source]
Hello, I am Simeon Richards, a fourth-year Electrical Engineering student. I enjoy 3D printing, coding, and tearing apart old electronics. I hope to one day own a shop where I can DIY various constructions and circuits.
Interests[edit | edit source]
|Electronics||Open Source||3D Printers||Drones|
Experience[edit | edit source]
- One year experience as intern at software quality assurance company
- Two years experience as intern at robotics company
- I participated in FRC for a couple years
Open Source Hardware Enterprise[edit | edit source]
Semester 1 Fall 2019
Print Farm Automation: This semester Lucas and I worked on automating print removal from the print bed. This was done because of a large project which required many hours of printing with operator intervention. The first step was to design a solution. We considered various ideas, such as flexing the print base, printing on a conveyor, or even removing the print bed. Ultimately, we decided to pursue a print bed scraper design. After pursuing a couple plans that didn't quite pan out, we settled on a a design which featured a lead screw in front of the two main lead screws, with a scraper on an axle. This allows the profile of the scraper to be small enough so as not to collide with the nozzle fans. When needed, the scraper would drop down to the bed, rotate to its' optimal angle, and the bed would move forward. The print would be ejected over the back of the print bed. We would then have a containment vessel on the other side in which to store the prints. The lead screws would be powered by step motors controlled using the dual extruder wiring and Gcode. During the course of this project I learned for the first time how to properly design and print 3D prints, which came in handy. I designed and printed our hinge mechanism, with half of the lead screw cart and bed scraper clamp. I also dove into the Taz6 documentation and found the wiring diagrams needed to wire the stepper motors to the dual extruder circuit. In all, I feel that I learned a great deal this semester and I hope to see this project operational soon.
Semester 2 Spring 2020
Print Farm Automation: This semester Lucas, Kai, and I worked on finishing the automated print removal system. In the beginning of the semester, I was able to find and relate the Taz6 printer boards and wiring to the documentation found last semester. The stepper motors which would drive the blade carts up and down the lead screws were connected to the circuit designed to power the secondary printer head. The software on the printer was changed to accommodate a dual extruder, and a resistor was spliced into the circuit to simulate a properly heated thermistor on the secondary printer head. Once this task was completed, we worked to control the scraper motors with G-Code. Unfortunately, the print farm automation team had to postpone further progress on the project due to social distancing. Next semester, the team will be able to efficiently assemble the system and prepare it for testing. This will allow the team to improve the design greatly and reduce the chance of failure. While the project could not be completed this semester, I learned a great deal about searching for, reading, interpreting, and modifying documentation in order to achieve a goal in a real-life circuit. What was especially challenging for me was understanding how someone else's circuit works and how to modify it without compromising the integrity of the rest of the circuit.
Semester 3 Fall 2020
Print Farm Automation: This semester David and I worked on fully assembling and tuning the automated print removal system. The parts which I designed in Semester 1 Fall 2019 were incorporated into the overall printer design, and set in place with proper hardware. Once this was done, the system was ready to be tested with real G-Code. Unfortunately, I was the only group member with approved lab access during the campus-wide lockdown. I took the opportunity to learn from David's contributions, and was able to learn enough about G-Code to be able to optimize the automatic print removal script to our lab's conditions. Once this task was completed, the finished scripts were commented to assist in modification, and made available on GitHub and Appropedia. Finally, a proof of concept timelapse was shot in order to document the project's progress, act as a reference, and identify potential improvements. While completing work on this project, I learned a large amount about how G-Code works, how the printer operates, and how to manipulate these together to produce results. With this knowledge, I will be able to further improve the system on my own, and can offer some help for others looking to modify the G-Code for themselves. This semester was especially challenging because of the campus-wide social distancing and lockdown making collaboration between team members difficult. Next semester, I look forward to perfecting the system with more in-person collaboration and hope to make it very reliable.