I am a 5th year student at Michigan Technological University pursuing a dual degree in Materials Science and Engineering and Biomedical Engineering. I am heavily involved in the Enterprise program at MTU as both a member and the President of the Advanced Metalworks Enterprise. My interests primarily lie within the application of materials science to medical instruments in the pursuit of improving the healthcare industry and providing innovative engineering solutions medical challenges. With experience working in a range of industries, I strive to provide a unique perspective in the development and production of medical devices.
- BS Materials Science and Engineering, Enterprise Focus, Michigan Technological University 2016
- BS Biomedical Engineering, Michigan Technological University 2016
- Minor in Structural Materials
- Undergraduate Research Scholar
- Biodegradable stents
- Drug-eluding polymer catheters in PAD treatment
- Anti-microbial coatings
- Tissue-mimicking polymers for medical device performance challenge testing
- 3-D printing of medical device components
- Prosthetic development
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty high pressure balloon materials
- Polyurethane scaffolding
I am currently interning for Medtronic's Aortic and Peripheral Vascular R&D division on the TurboHawk and HawkOne directional atherectomy plaque excision product line. This device is used to treat peripheral arterial disease and prevents the unnecessary amputation of patient limbs.
I have worked with Dow Chemical (2014) on analyzing the behavior of stainless steels and glass in uniquely corrosive environments. I have also interned for Nucor Steel (2013), focusing primarily on steel chemistry prototyping and process analysis.
MTU Project Experience
- Weldability of Solid Solution Strengthened Ferritic Ductile Iron
- Induction Mixing of Nanoparticle Aluminum MMC's
- Design and Modification of Polyethylene Glycol and Polyacrylamide Hydrogels
- Hot Chamber Die-Casting and Creep Testing of EZAC Alloy