Jump to navigation Jump to search
About Me[edit | edit source]
Name: Lauren Proctor
- Im currently a student at Humboldt State University. I am majoring in Geography and International Studies, though those two disciplines only represent a small portion of what I am interested in. I see my life as a spiritual journey, in which I work to become aware of and break the illusion of seperatness. My interests are huge and varied, and continue to expand; it seems the more I learn, the more I seek.
Interests in Appropriate Technology[edit | edit source]
- I would like to work on understanding how to bring appropriate technology to less developed parts of the world, while also respecting the many indigenous peoples that have worked hand-in-hand in harmony with their environment for so long by learning and sharing knowledge.
- I am very interested in the history of appropriate technology, reaching back to pre-modern indigenous times, and up into the current "green revolution" that we see exploding today. I am fascinated as to how this technology has been understood, applied, marketed and spread across the world, and what the potential future for it may be.
- I would also like as much hands-on experience as possible about all aspects of appropriate technology in order to one day work to be self-sustainable once I have made the decision to settle in one place for a while
Experience in Appropriate Technology[edit | edit source]
- After graduating from high school I decided to go to Africa, and ended up spending about 4 1/2 months there. During this period I worked in a small village in Kenya by the name of Ngumo. I taught English, and also worked on constructing a school building. This was one of my first experiences in construction work, and though I found it incredibly taxing I also thought it was wonderfully rewarding.
- I love to garden, and have had some oppurtunities to learn more about how to be self-sustaining by having ones own land and garden. I have worked in my own garden a lot growing up, and spent some time volunteering at City of Ten Thousand Buddhas monastary in Ukiah working in their organic farm.
- I am currently working on a rainwater catchment system for the CCAT house at Humboldt State University.