About Me[edit | edit source]
- Greetings world, my name is Josiah Norton. I am a sophomore in the Environmental Resources Engineering program at Humboldt State University. I am currently finishing my Engr 215 Design project, where my partner and I designed and implemented an energy usage monitoring and graphic display system for Laurel Tree Charter School.
Interests in Engineering[edit | edit source]
- Rube Goldberg
- Environmental sustainability
- Ecological Restoration
- Renewable Energy
Experience in Engineering[edit | edit source]
The Lonely Protons Electrical Analysis for Laurel Tree Charter School (In Progress) Working as a team of two found a solution to monitor electrical usage at Laurel Tree Charter School. Designed accurate, real-time graphic display showing usage statistics that can be understood by all ages. Utilizes programmed arduinos and LED-fiber optic lights and an illuminated crystal to indicate usage.
Lighting Alternatives Research Project Researched alternatives to incandescent lighting and compared efficiencies and cost over 20 years. Created excel worksheet that allows future adjustments of costs, life expectancies, efficiencies, etc.
In-Situ Remediation Research Project Researched In-Situ bioremediation and its feasibility in general, as well as when applied to a gasoline spill that occurred at Humboldt State University. Rube Goldberg Design Project Worked as a team of three to design a Rube Goldberg machine that met the following criteria: 1) At least 3 steps. 2) One step must take 20+ seconds. 3) Must crush a can. 4) Must not take more than two minutes per run, must be able to do two successful back to back runs in five minutes with a one minute set-up.
Engineering 215 Design Portfolio[edit | edit source]
- This is my engineering 215 portfolio. Below you will find examples of what I believe are my best works of writing a memo, using spreadsheet software, using cad/3D drawing software, and the document I co-wrote with Austin Chester for my Lonely Protons project in Engineering 215. All of the work listed below was created by me, unless otherwise noted through citation. These are some of my best works.
- This is a link to a memo written during our Rube Goldberg Projects, providing feedback regarding my team mates on the project.
- This excel file shows some of what I have learned in excel. I imported data into excel and created a sortable table with it. The data was then used to create a useful focused visual interpretation of the data in the form of a bar graph.
- This Google SketchUp Rendering is my best work using a 3-D drawing program. The design is a visualization of our final product in my engineering design course.
- This design document is my best collaborative peer edited document. This is my final design document for my main project in my engineering design course.