Previously the secretary of BAPRAS (2014-2016), and currently on the National Councils of BAPRAS and the SAC, Wg Cdr Ankur Pandya is a Consultant Plastic, Reconstructive & Hand Surgeon based in Hampshire and Sussex. He has been currently an NHS Consultant for over 21 years as also an officer in the Royal Air Force. This has included being the Director and Lead Clinician of The Mountbatten department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Queen Alexandra Hospital in Portsmouth for a nine-year period.
His NHS practice consists of Hand surgery, Paediatric plastic surgery, reconstruction of the head and neck, perineal reconstruction, skin cancers and general plastic surgery. He is the Consultant Advisor in Plastic Surgery to the Head RAF Medical Services. His humanitarian practice consists of cleft surgery, post burn reconstruction and congenital hand surgery.
He has a wide spectrum of Academic interests and is a Visiting Prof of Plastic Surgery in Romania, A Senior Clinical Lecturer, both, at the Southampton University School of Medicine as well as Portsmouth University. He is the Associate Dean (S) for the Defence Deanery. He is the National and European examiner for The Plastic Surgery fellowship exam as well as the Hand Diploma Exams. He is on the faculty of and an examiner for the Conflict and Catastrophe Course.
His voluntary activities include working with Operation Smile where he was a Regional Medical Officer (Europe/Africa/Middle East) from 2008-2010 and the Deputy Chief Medical Officer (2010-2015). He set up the Directorate of Quality Assurance for the organisation, which he led for five years. He has been on over 43 international humanitarian missions and four wartime deployments.
He has been awarded the Order of St John Medal for his humanitarian work.
Education History[edit | edit source]
Summary[edit | edit source]
- MB,BS Bombay University October 1985
- MS(Gen Surgery) Bombay University January 1989
- MCh(Plastic Surgery) Bombay University November 1991
Diplomas and Fellowships[edit | edit source]
- Diplomate of the National Board- Gen. Surgery October 1989
- (National Board of Examinations, India)
- Diplomate of the National Board- Plastic Surgery November 1991
- (National Board of Examinations, India)
- F.R.C.S. Edinburgh November 1993
- F.R.C.S. Glasgow November 1993
- F.R.C.S. (Plastic) September 1998
- (Intercollegiate Board Exams)
- European Diploma in Hand Surgery June 2005
- (Federation of European Societies for Surgery of the Hand)
- Diploma in Disaster Medicine. February 2017
Research Bibliography[edit | edit source]
- The deleterious effects of war and conflict on the provision of healthcare for vulnerable groups – To what effect will COVID-19 affect the current climate in conflict zones and vulnerable populations? Valand, P; Miles J, Pandya AN. International Journal of Surgical Global Health 3(6):e36, November 2020.
- A Modified Technique for the Repair of Zone 1 Flexor Digitorum Profundus (FDP) Tendons Using a Subperiosteal Suture". Hili S, Valand P, Hever P , Pandya AN. PRS-D-20-02676R2; EMID:49c1f2417a5fd91f.
- Contraceptive Implant–Related Acute Ulnar Neuropathy: Prompt Diagnosis, Early Referral, and Management Are Key. Ayman Saeed, Nitisha Narayan, Ankur Pandya. EPlasty (2018) 243-246
- Surgical resection of a rare cutaneous manifestation of Scedosporium apiospermum in a patient who underwent renal transplant. ACSStoneham, SEStoneham, SAWyllie, ANPandya. BMJ doi:10.1136/bcr-2016- 217923
- Variations in surgeon position for palmar hand surgery. Armstrong A, Pandya AN. European Journal of Plastic Surgery 39; 473-474(2016)
- The attitude to procedure specific consent forms in plastic surgery: A national survey. Lilli Cooper, Ash Mosahebi, Mark Henley, Ankur Pandya, Michael Cadier, Nigel Mercer, Charles Nduka. Nov 2016 I Plastic recons AES Surgery
- Icon of the issue: Sir Archibald McIndoe. Pandya AN. Indian J Plast Surg 2015;48:234-5.
- Beliefs on Factors Causing Cleft Lip and Palate in Mongolia. Zhou Lingyue, Tham Kar Mun, Jacqueline Koh Li Tyn, David Sin Yang Ern, Tay Wan Jing, Chong Si Jack, Ankur Pandya. Singapore Medical Journal 2017
- Nuchal fibrolipoma gives rugby players the 'hump'. Bayne D, Coombes J, Pandya AN. ANZ Journal of Surgery 30 May 2014
- One year of burns at a role 3 Medical Treatment Facility in Afghanistan. Jeevaratnam JA, Pandya AN. J R Army Med Corps. 2014 Mar;160(1):22-6. doi: 10.1136/jramc-2013-000100. Epub 2013 Jun 7.
- Diphoterine in acid/alkali burn injury-a review of literature and its implications in Europe. KH Tan, N Muirhead, PC Stephens, SJ Ghosh, A Pandya. Abstracts of 15th EBA conference Vienna Austria 28th -31st August 2013
- Perception of UK health providers on the role of Diphoterine in managing chemical burns. N Muirhead, KH Tan, PC Stephens, SJ Ghosh, A Pandya. Abstracts of 15th EBA conference Vienna Austria 28th -31st August 2013
- Experience With Corrective Surgery for Postburn Contractures in Mumbai, India. Francis S. Kim, MA,* Huong H. Tran, MD, Indranil Sinha, MD, Anup Patel, MD, MBA, Rebecca A. Nelson, MD, MSc, Ankur N. Pandya, MD, Sunil Keswani, MD, James F. Watkins, MD. Journal of Burn Care & Research, Volume 33, Number 3, 120-126, 2013
- The use of absorbable versus non-absorbable sutures in hand surgery: A systematic review of the literature. Jean Nehme, Foiz Ahmed, Ussamah El Khani, Emre Doghani, Nicholas Bennett, Ankur Pandya. International Journal of Surgery, 2012, Vol 10, Issue 8, Pages S 67-68
- A precise excision technique for schwannomas. M A Hussain, H Jhattu, Atisha Pandya, Q Chan, Wg Cdr A Pandya. Eur J Plast Surg, 2012, s00238-2012/0715-1
- Pulp tissue anchor repair for the zone I flexor tendon injury: introduction of a new and cost-effective technique. M. A. Hussain, S. Mui, A. Pandya, E. Tan, A. N. Pandya. Eur J Plast Surg, 2012, s00238-2012/ 0713-3
- Reconstruction of the burnt perionychium: Review article. J Burn Care Res. 2011 Jul-Aug; 32(4):451-7. Goutos I, Jennings C, Pandya AN
- Patient Satisfaction Following Nipple-Areolar Complex Reconstruction And Tattooing. JPRAS 64 (3) 2011, 360-363. Goh SCJ, Martin NA, Pandya AN and Cutress RI
- Skin SCC following Mustard gas testing in a British Army recruit. European Journal Of Plastic Surgery, 2011, s00238-011-0643-5. A Harb, A R Sawyer, Pandya AN
- Creeping anaesthesia for Nasal Surgery...a relatively painless technique. European Journal of Plastic Surgery 02/15/2011. Harb A, Bayne D, Pandya AN
- Primus stove burns: literature review and report of long term sequelae in rural India. McGlone E, Goutous I, Nelson R, Francis S. Kim, Indranil Sinha, Sunil Keswani, James F. Watkins, Pandya AN. Int J Burns and Trauma, Aug 2011. 2011;1(1):11-16 /ISSN: 2160-2026/IJBT1103001
- Erythromycin Extravasation Mimicking Necrotising Fasciitis in the Infant. European Journal Of Plastic Surgery Volume 33, Number 3 (2010), 159-161. A Harb, Sawyer AR, Pandya AN
- Avoiding Sutured Tie-Overs on the Nasal Dorsum. A Harb, Pandya AN. Plastic Surgery International, Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 958213, 2 pages
- Pyrotechnic Signal Flare ('Miniflare') Injuries. Martin NAJ, Macleod BMG, Pandya AN, Smith JE and Rickard RF. JR Army Med Corps. 2009;155(3):197-199
- Modern pneumatic tourniquets in orthopaedic nursing practice. Duncan Robert Bayne, Ankur N Pandya. Journal of Orthopaedic Nursing | Vol 12, Isss 3–4, Pg 161, 2008
- Prop forward neck lumps revisited. Bayne D, Combe J, Pandya AN (6 February 2007). British Journal of Sports Medicine Online
- The Periareolar Benelli Mastopexy approach in the surgical treatment of Type II/III Gynaecomastia. Abstract. J Roy. Army Med Corps (2006) 152;1; 41
- Bayne D, Combe J, Pandya AN.
- Post Traumatic Nuchal Fibrolipmata,…..a cause specific cosmetic defect. Abstract. J Roy. Army Med Corps (2006) 152;1; 41-42. Combe J, Bayne D, Whitaker , Pandya AN
- Low-cost, single-use breast sizing for augmentation mammaplasty. Br J Plast Surg. 2004 Jul;57(5):480-1. Vaingankar N; Pandya, AN; Grant, I; James NK
- End-to-side venous anastomoses-a-patency test. Br J Plast Surg. 2003 Dec;56(8):810-811. Pandya AN, Vaingankar N, Grant I, James NK
- An Audit into two determinants of the efficacy of emergency care – Fasting Times and Injury to Theatre time. Journal of Clinical Governance, 2003, Vol. 8(2). Pandya, AN., Grant I., Vaingankar N., Human M., Huang S., Waters M., James NK
- The efficacy of Mefix v/s Kaltostat as an SSG donor dressing. Br J Plast Surg. 2003 Jul;56(5):498-503. Hombrey E; Pandya AN; Giele H
- Tissue Expansion in the Limbs: A comparative analysis of limb and non-limb sites. British Journal of Plastic Surgery, 2002, 55(4):302-306. Pandya AN; Vadodaria S; Coleman DJ
- Capsule within a capsule….an unusual entity. British Journal of Plastic Surgery, 2002, 55(5):455. Pandya, AN., Dickson MG
- The re-attachment of tendon and ligament avulsions. Journal of Hand Surgery, 2002, 27(4): 337-341. Ian Grant, Pandya AN, P J Mahaffey
- Failure To Thrive (FTT) in Babies with Cleft Lip and Palate. British Journal of Plastic Surgery, 2001, 54: 471-475. Pandya, AN., Boorman JG
- Prevention of the Parrot Beak Deformity in fingertip injuries. Hand Surgery, Vol.6, No.2, March 2001. Pandya, AN., Giele, H
- Rhinophyma – a modified electroshave technique. British Journal of Plastic Surgery, 2001, 54: 322-325. Humzah, MD, Pandya, AN
- Minerva, The Misdiagnosis of Ophthalmic Herpes Zoster. The British Medical Journal, 2001; (7293); 1072. Grant, I., Pandya, AN., Dickson, MG
- Surgery for Burns Contractures. Repair and Reconstruction 2001:Vol.2: 2: 12-13 . Pandya, AN
- Electrical Burn Injuries. Repair and Reconstruction- 2001:Vol.2:2:10-12. Vaingankar, N., Grant, I., Pandya, AN
- Centro-central union for prevention of neuroma formation after digital amputation. Journal of Hand Surgery; 25(B): 2:154 – 159; 2000. Belcher, HJCR, Pandya, AN
- Drain Fixation made foolproof. Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, 2000:82:290 - 292. Hormbrey, E ., Pandya, AN.; Humzah, MD.
- The use of Autologous Cultured Keratinocytes in conjunction with Integra in the resurfacing of acute burns. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 1998; 102; 825-828. Pandya, AN., Woodward, B., Parkhouse, N
- The Chevron Technique for Skin Markings in Syndactyly Release. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 1998; 101; 808-809. Pandya, AN., Belcher, HJCR
- Refinement of Nipple Areolar Placement in Breast Surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 1998; 101; 806-807. Pandya, AN., Arnstein, PM
- Umbilical Transillumination - An accurate means to diagnose minimal ascites associated with umbilical hernias; J. Assocn, Phy. Ind, 1991;.39; 311-312.. Pandya, AN., Buch, HG., Shilotri, PP
- Atypical presentation of Amebic liver Abscess (A Study of 275 cases); B.H.J.,1991; 33 ; 22-25. Shilotri, PP., Pandya, AN., Mehta, PJ
- The Efficacy of Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in the diagnosis of cold, solitary thyroid nodules (A prospective study of 90 cases);. B.H.J., 1991; 33; 45-49. Pandya, AN., Shilotri, PP., Trivedi, DR., Buch, HG