We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
I like the proposals. Chris, can you look into which privileges exactly to grant the two levels? I think we already have consensus on changing admin to Librarian (or almost anything besides, admin... steward is another suggestion). Thank you, --Lonny 09:24, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- I'll look at privileges. The privileges will technically be the same, I assume - we just ask one group of admins to refrain from using them. Does that sound right?
- To get ideas on which name to choose, and make sure people know about the proposal, I made a section below, and will mention it on the community mailing list. --Chriswaterguy 19:58, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
Name change for admins
Let's change the name "admin" to something more suitable. Rather than power, authority and decision-making, we want to convey the idea of service and facilitation. One option is "librarian", as in the Spanish Wikipedia? Another option is "steward. Wikiversity uses the word "custodian". (There's also sysop, which sounds very technical; and Citizendium uses "constables", which is moving in the opposite direction.)
Let's have a final decision date. I propose March 1st, 2009.
Please leave ideas, comments, endorsements or disagreements here. --Chriswaterguy 20:05, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- Support. I lean towards librarian, but would like to hear other opinions. Chriswaterguy 19:53, 13 February 2009 (UTC)
- Support (Lonny expressed his support at #Process suggestion above.)
- Support and love librarian (Bibliothécaire in French). --jlhenry 13:17, 16 February 2009 (UTC)
I prefer the term admin. I find that it well describes what we do (I am an admin on Ekopedia). Most of our tasks are administrative work. Moreover, people who are familiar with Internet know this term. They know that they can ask the admins if they have a question or a problem.
Some people can prove authoritarian but it is a matter of character, not a matter of title.
For me a librarian deals with books. If I see someone called librarian on a website, I don't know what is his role.
Neja 15:18, 3 April 2009 (UTC)
List of possibilities
- Humble Servants