This page describes the proposal for a reading mode option on Appropedia.
- Due to its nature, Appropedia is often used by users with specific research questions. This requires attention and lenghty reads.
- With the implementation of learning modules, we will have more and more users using Appropedia to review and citate content.
- Some of our users do not have an immediate interest in learning how to edit a wiki. Furthermore, some users avoid interacting with the site because the controls are a bit daunting.
Therefore, we're considering two possible ideas for a reading/easy-editing mode.
Proposal 1: Simplified editing mode[edit | edit source]
Oriented to making editing as simple as possible for users and reducing most of the functionality of the site to favor dabblers or one-time editors. Examples of this are: users from organizations who are participating on documentation projects or sprints, younger students, community leaders or persons in countries with little experience in editing a website. Proposed features would be:
- Reducing items on the skin.
- Visual editor only (?) or at least showing a clear priority over the source editor to avoid confusions.
- Essential edit options for the menu (for example: headings, bullets, tables and images)
- An improved experience for editing templates within the Visual Editor
- Possible creation of standard icon family to illustrate projects, guides and elements.
Proposal 2: Reading-only mode[edit | edit source]
Simpler mode focused on reading Appropedia instead of editing. For the casual user. Features include:
- Mainly a mobile-friendly skin.
- Larger font meant for reading
- Heavily simplified navigation
- CSS closer to print
- Dark mode option