Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Things to do: [ Appropedia maintenance ] - [ Monitor Recent Changes ] - [ Spreading the word ] - [ Random Todos ] - [ Requested content ] - [ Appropedia:Scratchpad ]
This page exists for you to enter subjects that you are interested in, but which you were not able to find. Note that another option is for you to create a seed article that you and others can then expand.
Please click the "edit" tab at the top of this page to enter some information about the kind of subject matter that you were not able to find. It might be that a similar subject exists with different, so please let us know how you searched for the subject. If you would like to receive an email when the page is added, we recommend that you create a login before you edit this page. That way you can enter your email address privately. Please also see these other benefits of registering. If you've registered, people can send you an email via Appropedia without knowing your email address.
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!
Please enter your feedback below this line:
Does this qualify as appropriate technology?
Just stumbled accross that by pure accident. --Helge 05:17, 21 November 2006 (PST)
- I would say yes. Sustainable and simple while being well suited to be purpose. Good find. One of us should get in touch about porting it to here - do you want to do that, Helge? (Or failing that, at least it could be linked from here.) --Singkong2005 (now known as Chriswaterguy) · talk 05:28, 21 November 2006 (PST)
- Would be great if someone else could do that - apart from the fact that I don't have much time my poor technical understanding combined with the fact that I'm no native speaker makes is quite an obstacle. --Helge 05:32, 21 November 2006 (PST)
- Hi all. I just exchanged some email with Dave Peterson, the author of the bike plow web page. He's willing to contribute, so hopefully we'll see him here. He may need some helping hints, and I'm sure we're all ready and willing to do that! --CurtB 07:51, 10 January 2007 (PST)
Wifi to TV antenna from cans..
Another find, extremely impressing: http://timbuktuchronicles.blogspot.com/2006/11/geekcorps-cantv.html Those folks build Wifi TV-antennae from virtually from garbage.. --Helge 05:52, 21 November 2006 (PST)
Benetech - "Non-profit social entrepreneurial venture harnessing the power of technology for social benefit." Quite relevant to us. --Singkong2005 (now known as Chriswaterguy) · talk 20:58, 8 January 2007 (PST)
- Now this is amusing. I had breakfast with a guy who works for Benetech as a consultant, and talked a lot about Appropedia, but for some reason got busy and and didn't follow through. Benetech is about 20 miles from my home (James is about half as far away). I'll dig a little deeper, but if you look a bit deeper, they seem to focus more on high tech for humanity than on appropriate tech. Still, there is clearly some alignment, particularly in the venture area. One would think they would align well with Kickstart, who seems especially aligned with us. --CurtB 16:13, 9 January 2007 (PST)
A reminder to myself or others to create articles/categories about
- Solar Hydrogen Production (solar catalytic production of H2 from water, applies solar thermal concepts)
- Solar Carbon Fixation (solar catalytic fixation of atmospheric CO2 into other substances, can be a form of carbon sequestration or petroleum-alternative source for plastics, etc., analogous to how plants naturally cleave double-bonds in CO2 to create sugars and other more complex molecules)
- Solar Photovoltaic, Concentrating + Tracking (e.g. see the SunCube at http://www.greenandgoldenergy.com.au/ ; over 20 other similar products/projects exist)
- Solar Eco-Village (see the Institute for Global Peace page at http://www.igf-online.org/index.php?id=179)
- Solar Fluid Treatment (see the Ecos LifeLink; examples of solar-compatible similar products at http://pescorporation.com/webpages/applications.html)
Dhart 22:55, 27 March 2007 (PDT)
Concept: To set up an open source wiki webpage. Using Wikipedia as a model, we aim to create a site where anyone can edit or add information. The general preface will be under Local, Organic, Sustainable food production however it should also embody sustainable initiative's of local individuals and groups.
It is becoming increasingly difficult to source local organic food. So many people in the local villages of Spain produce or grow there own food. Usually on a very small scale, Using the traditional methods that have been handed down for generations. Ranging from eggs to cheese and so on. The trouble is in finding these people and knowing when they have goods available. There are a few Cooperative's in the area, but most farmers and people in the area don't produce the amounts to make it worth while joining. So what of an online community cooperative. A place where you can find what is in season and where it is available, a place where you can connect with people working in sustainable ways.
From a dozen eggs, to cheese, yogurt, meat, any locally produced organic products. And because it is edited by all, it should hopefully become self regulated.
open source local orgnic food co operativa online, like a wiki so anyone can edit, intergrated with google maps and google earth so you can see where the food is produced. etc. you go to the site and it shows you who is producing organic food using sustaiable practices within a 100 or 200 km radias, you can message / email / phone them directly, or use google maps to shows you how to get there, or google earth to have a look at the place in question. (uploaded photos etc)
No certification to join, and know controlling authority, A community site owned by everyone.
Using the latest web applications and technology, creating a fusion aka ¨meshing¨ The site should also incorporate the available barter systems. ie. LETS, and transition initiatives so you know whats on in the local area. Incorporate local groups, such as veggie clubs or seed banks.
multi lingual with automatic page translation for users.
Think of it as giving people the tools to make better choices, With the meshing of some of the latest platforms and tech available if should be possible to make a site that is A easy to use and B becomes a way of connecting with people that are making a difference, ofcourse with the benefit of great tasting healthy food A community owned space, not for the benefit of any one individual or company for the benefit of all. Can be openly edited and content added by anyone, should be scaleable to any area, Photos uploadable. Based on a wikipedia model
-Open source, -Easy to use, for all people. -integrate existing barter systems, Club Veg, LETS, Transition town initiatives -Useable with handheld devices. -Intergrated with google maps. -Intergrated with Skype. -Easy to make comments, add content -Able to support a lot of users. -A way of Messaging people. / Email orders etc. -a way to upload photos & attachments.
Open night, asking for assistance from locals / Business’s people, leaders. Launch wiki site.
-Local fresh to order, fresh produce or prepared when ordered, reducing waste. Animal slaughtered when ordered. Ensuring freshest possible. Farm direct to the dinner plate. -Local, remedies, specific climate zones, medicanal herbs and edible plant within the local area.
possible names www.ecolocal.net or localeco.com, / wiki. ??