Copy, paste and modify as appropriate for the recipient.
Do not spam - send to people you believe will be interested.
To make it less annoying for people to get contacted more than once:
- Update these notices to include up-to-date information, or
- Keep track of everyone who has been contacted. This seems like much more work, so keeping the contact emails updated seems like the better option.
Preface for content owners[edit | edit source]
I'm aware that you have a lot of high quality content related to sustainability and making better use of fewer resources. I'm sure that you want this content to have a wider reach and be used by more people, and wonder if you've thought about using an open license, so it can be freely reused and adapted by others, and have the greatest positive impact?
Preface for knowledgeable people[edit | edit source]
I'll give you the rundown on the related projects I'm working on, in case it's of interest. I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge related to sustainability and making better use of fewer resources. I'm sure that you want this content to have a wider reach and be used by more people, and wonder if you've sharing it it an open way, using an open license, on a wiki site used by many like-minded people around the world? This means it can be freely reused and adapted by others, and have the greatest positive impact.
Basic, to the point[edit | edit source]
I wanted to let you know about a couple of efforts that I think will interest you:
- Appropedia, "Sharing Knowledge to Build Rich, Sustainable Lives." This is a wiki focused on solutions in all areas of sustainability, appropriate technology, and tackling poverty.
- The Open Sustainability Network. Promoting open sharing of knowledge, for example through open licenses and more effective search and reuse of information. Note the upcoming conference, October 18-19 - join us either in San Francisco or online!
If you find Appropedia useful, and think it would be useful for those using your site, please consider letting people in your network know about it - through a link from your site, blog posts, newsletters and/or passing this email on. We are non-commercial, committed to free, quality information, and we rely on referrals from like-minded folks. Let us know if you have any questions.
Hope to hear from you,
Example 2[edit | edit source]
I saw your ...
Have you thought about releasing it under a free license, so it could be shared and further developed at a site like Appropedia.org?
Regards, (your name, optional phone number)
Appropedia update: we now have a community email list
Example 3[edit | edit source]
The main things we ask people to consider are:
- Using a free license on some or all of your work, to enable effective collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Using Appropedia to share the projects your organization carries out. This is a way of reaching a wider audience, as Appropedia has a growing audience, with a high proportion of users very dedicated to sustainabilty and appropriate technology. It's also a way for people to find you, through our category and search functions for locations and project type.
- The wiki is an open, collaborative workspace
Note the upcoming OSNCamp 2008 on Oct 18-19 in San Francisco. You can participate online if you're not able to make it in person.
Please forward this to anyone you know who you think would be interested.