Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Appropedia:EWB Challenge site development
For work conducted from December 2015 onwards, see #Stage 2, below.
Key outputs to date:
About the EWB Challenge
The EWB Challenge is a design program for first year engineering students in Australia, New Zealand, the UK and Ireland. The kind of projects can be see on the website, especially at http://www.ewbchallenge.org/content/previous-challenges
EWB Challenge Compendium
Appropedia is partnering with EWB Australia to provide an online home for the project descriptions.
- Content hosting, with categorisation and filtering tools.
- Easy input tools.
- Financial partnership for site development.
- Hosting for the full, original reports
We work together on:
- Getting students using the tools.
What's this "semantic" stuff?
About "metadata": Think of a library with books. The books are the data, while the card catalog (authors, titles, subject headings, Dewey decimal numbers) are data about the data, i.e. metadata. Metadata helps with searching, categorisation and manipulating the information.
We hantle this with a tool called Semantic MediaWiki. This lets us do things like Portal:Medical Devices, and drilling down into the same content (filtering by location, type of intervention or other criteria).
- Chris to collate documentation from previous developer, and place it here.
- email tag: "EWB Challenge"
- Mediawiki upgrade? (Patch current level first?)
- Analyse the data pertaining to the EWB projects and come up with an ontology/data structure to represent them. There will probably be several iterations of this.
- Create a form to allow data input by EWB students. We predict multiple drafts/iterations of this, and continued revision based on improving understanding of the data (as above).
- Develop supporting documentation including:
- "About this project" (linked from a template that appears on each individual project page)
- Help for students adding a project (filling in the form, wiki editing, etc)
- Help for teachers/classroom materials (possibly including a screencast/video)
- Confirm that all the semantic functions work, eg. semantic drilldown etc
- Create a landing/homepage for the EWB which automatically shows projects (similar to Portal:Medical Devices)
- Beta test with EWB students -- Chris with EWB representative could visit a classroom at Melbourne Uni or other suitable/local institution and work through it with them, see if there are any problems, etc. This may lead to revisions of the form and/or documentation.
- Give EWB an update on our timeline, with estimated dates for deliverables. (Discuss, then Chris to contact).
Content and data structure
Work in progress
- Form:Project Description
- Template:Project Description
- Project Description Test 1 and Project Description Test 2
- Quick way to do everything: create classes via Special:CreateClass or Special:CreateProperty
- Remove tagging of projects as EWB Challenge.
- Edit EWB Challenge and category page accordingly. Done