You can revert when this bot makes a change it shouldn't have - you don't need to ask first. It's be appreciated if you leave a note here when this happens, so that the bot can be tweaked to avoid the same mistakes in future.
This bot is a software tool for doing repetitive edits on Appropedia (e.g. fixing double redirects, or doing global search and replace across all articles on the wiki). It can be set to require approval before making the edit, which is important for some tasks such as adding wikilinks, or adding categories to pages. It is managed by Chriswaterguy.
Any questions may be left here.
question: section headings[edit source]
Hello, I noticed that the bot changed some of my section headings from "==See also==" to "==See also==". Is this the format for Appropedia articles? If so, is there a summary of conventions or guidelines article on Appropedia? —comment by Cailan, 18 November 2009.
- Hi Cailan, thanks for asking - I hope the bot didn't cause any stress.
- Yes, that's the standard. At least that's my understanding - I think we talked about this is the early days of Appropedia. I had a quick look and couldn't find anything written down, so I hope I haven't made a mistake. But Help:Page naming #General Guidelines makes it clear about page names, and it seems to me that the same principles apply.
- Not that either way is wrong, and it would have been hard for you to know before know. It just seems neater and more professional for the site to be consistent, and it made sense to adopt the same conventions as Wikipedia. There's no hard and fast reason that we shouldn't change the convention tomorrow (though it would be a lot of work figuring out how to change every header).
- There are more important things I can do of course, and I do them... but now I've figured out how to get the bot to do repetitive stuff like this in the background. :-).
- Don't hesitate to ask if you have other questions.
- It's a software tool that does automated or semi-automated changes. I run this one (and I've now added a note at the top of this page.) --Chriswaterguy 11:49, 19 November 2009 (UTC)
Minor bot issue[edit source]
Small bot issue. I use galleries in a funky way... where I use one box for an image and another for its description text. The problem is, if you make an internal link in description text, it breaks the gallery.
Is there a way to make the bot not edit anything between <gallery> and </gallery>? If not, maybe I can figure out some other way to make a described (and linked) gallery like I want.
Thanks, --Lonny 03:13, 3 September 2010 (UTC)
- I can probably get help to add an exception, if this is a useful way to display images. It seems a (minor) pity that we can't add links there, though.
- Is this usually used on pages without much other text? If so, I can easily skip those pages.
- Let me know straight away if you notice a problem again. --Chriswaterguy 14:39, 3 September 2010 (UTC)
- Hello, ChriswaterguyBot. Please let me know if you have any questions, by leaving me a message on my talk page.