We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
I am an undergraduate research assistant at Michigan Technological University, working with Dr. J. Pearce’s team at the Michigan Tech Open Sustainability Technology (MOST) lab on PV plasmonics. My research is focused on the microfabrication of plasmonic nanostructures theorized to improve the efficiency of thin film solar cells, CIGS cells in particular. I was introduced to the MOST team after being awarded a scholarship from SPIE for potential contribution to the field of Optics and Photonics. As an international student from South Africa, I am very aware of the power struggles the South African population faces despite so many hours of sunshine, and thus decided to direct my research efforts into improving efficiency of the cheaper thin film solar cells in order to make them more accessible and feasible for use in sunny areas plagued by power ad electricity struggles.
My research concerns the microfabrication of plasmonic nanostructures theorized to improve the efficiency of thin film solar cells.
Primary School Education: Trinityhouse Preparatory School
High School Education: Cambridge International Examination Board (through British International College)
University Education: Michigan Technological University (Electrical Engineering undergraduate; Cumulative GPA: 3.94)
- Microsoft Office - MATLAB - Mathematica - C/C++
- Solar photonics, photovoltaic technology
- Tennis (DII athlete, Women's Varsity Tennis)
- Writing (anything from short stories to novels, poetry to publications)
- Martial Arts
- Part of the tennis team chosen to represent the province in the inter-provincial tournament in 2008, 2009, and 2010 (South Africa)
- Woman's Varsity Tennis team (Michigan Tech)
- Engineering teamwork in 2014 and 2015 for Engineering classes
- Autobot (Blue Marble Security Enterprise) - building an automated ground vehicle to compete at Oakland University against other such vehicles
- Research with Michigan Tech Open Sustainability Technology (MOST) research group
- Volunteered to clean and sort books at the local library
- Volunteered in 2013 as a teacher at a rural school in Durban, South Africa