New book - 'Building a Better World in Your Backyard' - on Kickstarter (sponsored friend)
- Kathrine Sanguinetti
- I am currently a third year undergraduate at Humboldt State University majoring in Environmental Science with an emphasis in Climate and Energy. My past experiences have really put me on the path I am following today. Growing up behind the Redwood Curtain here in Humboldt County established my affinity for the natural world around me, no matter where I am, at a young age. After taking a Green Technology course in high school I then knew I wanted to pursue a career path focusing on how to implement these sustainable (or more sustainable than fossil fuel) technologies into society (I suppose that's where appropriate technology comes into play, isn't it?). Last year I was an exchange student on the northwest coast in England at the University of Central Lancashire (UCLan). It was there I co-started a Fossil Fuel Divestment Campaign for UCLan and formed a new passion in community building. Which brings us to the present where I work as an Education Coordinator with the Waste Reduction and Resources Awareness Program (WRRAP) on campus and look forward to what the next couple years bring me as I finish my degree.
Interests in Appropriate Technology
- The area I am most interested in is solar and wind and learning the least impacting ways to create these systems.
- I am also highly interested learning about how to assess and connected with different societies or communities and work together to learn which systems would be most beneficial and how to implement them.
Experience in Appropriate Technology
- Re-purposing old wood pallet and other scrap materials to build a compost bin at Fortuna High School.
- All materials used for WRRAP to help the program run and at events are re-purposed materials.