About Me[edit | edit source]
- Destinee McGuire
- Contact Information- firstname.lastname@example.org
- I am 3rd year Humboldt State University student working on a bachelor degree in Environmental Science: Climate and Energy and a minor in Geospatial Analysis. Receiving my degree with no debt is my goal and is the reason I am working two part time jobs. For one job, I haul trash and clean vacation rentals and the other job, I help peers succeed in understanding physic material for their class.
- I wanted to include a Merriam-Webster definition of Appropriate Technology for friends, family, or anyone else who happens to read this page
- “technology that is suitable to the social and economic conditions of the geographic area in which it is to be applied, is environmentally sound, and promotes self-sufficiency on the part of those using it”
Interests in Appropriate Technology[edit | edit source]
- The idea of appropriate technology really struck me as something I would love to be a part of and something I can go crazy with my imagination. So many ideas fall into the category of appropriate technology and many nifty ideas have already been brought to life.
- I want to be able to apply simple appropriate technology to my life to reduce my impact on the environment and hopefully entice others to join me.
- I want to be able to create a future that the “norm” for people would be using sustainable technology. Meaning people live within their means and do not leave an extreme imprint on the environment.
Experience in Appropriate Technology[edit | edit source]
- In high school, my AP environmental science class built solar ovens. My group baked chocolate chip cookies in our oven and even though they cooked oddly, the experience is something I will never forget. Other than my AP environmental science class in high school, building appropriate technology is quite foreign to me. Fortunately, I am quite handy with tools and love taking objects apart and reassembling them.
- Campus Center for Appropriate Technology (CCAT) is a group on the Humboldt State University campus that has shown me a variety of ways appropriate technology can be applied. I have only seen the technology in action but hopefully after my class this spring, I will be a part of the building process.
- I have pondered ideas of sustainable technology and thought about how I could make it work. I am defiantly more skilled in the planning aspect of appropriate technology because I have not been given many opportunities to bring ideas to life