We continue to develop resources related to the COVID-19 pandemic. See COVID-19 initiatives on Appropedia for more information.
Born in Toronto, Canada, now with dual Canadian-British nationality. Been living in London, UK since August 1999. I tried leaving London six times between November 2007 and May 2009 and decided to come back and stay for a while longer.
What I do (Areas of Work)
I am really interested in the built environment, enterprise development, behavioural economics, and how spaces and design influence social connection. I'm also good with numbers and finance. I'm a Chartered Accountant by training and CFA Charterholder. I developed a career in financial analysis, corporate finance, and real estate investment banking and am now applying my experience and skills to community asset and economic development. I'm exploring a number of projects at the moment. They are:
- Co-operatively owned and managed workspaces and non-domestic buildings
- Co-housing and co-operative housing
- An empty homes solution, working in partnership with private owners and social firms to provide employment and training opportunities
- Regeneration strategies for high streets and urban street markets
- Pro bono network for financing and banking professionals (on the back burner)
I was once asked what I would do if time and money were unlimited. I said:
- create a million new homes, each with at least three bedrooms, each costing no more than £100,000
- develop a new form of public house - and indoor space where people can meet/ have conversations/ play/ learn/ share (I probably meant Third Place at the time)
- create affordable, flexible, multi-modal workspaces with openness and excellent design principles enabling social connection, flow, and positive environmental impact. I am inspired by Urban Space Property Group, the Centre for Social Innovation in Toronto, the Development Trust and community assets movements.