Get our free book (in Spanish or English) on rainwater now - To Catch the Rain.
Talk:Appropriate technology villages
Hey Chris, what would you consider appro tech villages to be, a type of living collaboratory or vice versa? After this bioregionalist conference i was at this term makes a lot of sense... should we create a living collaboratory page?
- I don't know that term, but I'm interested - a page would be great! Bioregionalism also interesting. --Chriswaterguy 04:24, 13 October 2008 (UTC)
Following countries/villages may be useful to set up projects:
- Panama (San Blas Islands)
- Nambia (Northern Namibia, San-village; see Ray Mears World of Survival)
- Western Sahara (Sahrawi)
- Nicaragua (Corn Islands; Practical action coop)
- Nigeria (?) or Benin/Togo
- Haiti (MPP-cooperation; see wikipedia Haiti)
- Micronesia (Kosrae, Enipein Pah coop CSP, Kosrae Conservation and Safety Organization, Rare conservation)
- India (Andaman/Nicobar Islands Society for Andaman and Nicobar Ecology)
- India (Dharavi)
- India (Chagos Archipelago, coop Diego Garcia military base, Chagos Conservation Trust)
- Angola (Ilha dos Tigres)
- Marshall Islands
- St. Lucia
- St. Kitts and Nevis
- St. Vincent
- The grenadines
- Yemen (Shibam)
- Islands near New Guinea (Triobriand, Carteret)
- Torres Strait Islands
- okinawa ? (or short description food okinawa ?)
- Vanuatu (Tanna -->cargo cult may be used to advantage)
- Alice Springs or near Ayers Rock/Uluru
- New Vrindaban/hippie towns
- Cambodia (Phnom Penh -->cooperation ABE/Mlup Baitong)
- Earthship locations (eg main location at Taos, New Mexico; eg REACH, STAR,...) aswell as and Hawaii, Kenya, England? -->perhaps link-up Wangari Maathai org)
- Planet Mechanics/It's not easy being green location (+coop Dick Strawbridge/Jem)
- Transition Penwith.
- Transition Falmouth.
- Transition Town Lewes.
- Transition Ottery St Mary.
- Transition Bristol.
- Transition Town Brixton.
- Transition Forest of Dean
Criteria are eg already present stress from climate change (increases popularity to make countries/villages AT), presence of ethnic populations, ...
Countries/villages may be converted while a documentary is made (eg as too done with "Planet Mechanics", the Scraphouse-project, ...)
sewage nutrients get lost vs tribal comm. let food nutrients recycle
show mardu community - good approach -->moving around -->no cattle farming, very few env. impact, ...
- show cattle farming community -->not good -->high env. impact
- show Banjar -not good, swidden culture burns/destroys forest, also very inefficient; great swiddens, low yield
- show rice growing comm/vegan ?
- show Desana -->SE Columbia -very good, understand economy/carbon footprint/eco-impact --> restriction in hunting (to avoid stock depletion), heavily engaged in birth control, people with too much children are looked down upon
tell that "however" western innovation has given us fish farms, chicken farms/batteries, ... so western technology can be used to create more environmental systems (than even tribal communities approach) Tell that to this target we must work towards, combine meatless diet with technology
Next movie -communities (new age, new vrindaban, ...), earthships comm
Finally, Mouvman Peyizan Papay Route de Bassin-Zim, Papaye, Hinche Haïti also has a AT village
At the intro, the term healing web or yuimaru can be mentioned and explained (consisting of groups of friends/relatives working together to a common goal; also called a moai's) terms are from the "Okinawa-program" book
It seems that Detroit would probably be a very good candidate for an AT neighourhood. This as it is currently in disarray and so provides useful benefits:
- it is quite famous (one of the most known industrial towns), it is also a model for a post-industrial city
- Detroit has high poverty (33,8% below poverty line), high crime rate (with good neighbourhoods and bad ones; crime mostly appearant after crossing the 8 mile road)
- Detroit has many abandoned buildings, these can probably be appointed to people willing to refurbish it and live in it. Buildings:
- Packard building
- Postal building
- Ford factory
- McGregor library
- Lee Plaza
- Fisher building
- it is underpopulated (currently at 800 000 people vs 2 million at full capacity)
- it has a lively artist community
I'm guessing that it is a very suitable city for factories, since it is built near at the big lakes. References: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rkm3y
File:Areas suitable for AT villages.png